Jeff_Birt

Re: Factory file vs process exporting?

You CAN export a profile to a file, you can also save every project to a factory file. There is nothing you cannot save to a file.
msaine

You totally miss the point. S3D is one of the pay for slicers, one would assume it is designed for a production environment. In a production environment you need control over processes to be repeatable. People are careless, that is one of the reasons computers are so great, they don't forget. Imagine you are building a part that takes 12 Hours to print and you discover a flaw that requires a different setting in the setup. You fix it and save a new process and or factory file and all is great. Then another member of the development team goes to print the part again and neglects (or is not told) to load the updated factory file. Bingo you have another bad part and it's 12 hours later on a short schedule. All because the software cannot be set to load the latest files from a production repository.

Now do you understand the real problem? Yes you can save files but you cannot rely on the power of computers to automatically load the correct parameters because the current software doesn't do it. People are sloppy and will forget!
Jeff_Birt

Once I have the settings correct for a particular part I do not re-slice it just to print another copy. I just use the saved .gcode file. If you are worried about the particular settings for a particular part, i.e. the differences between the standard profile and the tweaks you made for a particular part then you should be working with the factory file.

Just IMHO
jfkansas

msaine wrote:You totally miss the point. S3D is one of the pay for slicers, one would assume it is designed for a production environment. In a production environment you need control over processes to be repeatable. People are careless, that is one of the reasons computers are so great, they don't forget. Imagine you are building a part that takes 12 Hours to print and you discover a flaw that requires a different setting in the setup. You fix it and save a new process and or factory file and all is great. Then another member of the development team goes to print the part again and neglects (or is not told) to load the updated factory file. Bingo you have another bad part and it's 12 hours later on a short schedule. All because the software cannot be set to load the latest files from a production repository.

Now do you understand the real problem? Yes you can save files but you cannot rely on the power of computers to automatically load the correct parameters because the current software doesn't do it. People are sloppy and will forget!
That is a workflow/quality issue. Who ever on the production floor that finds a flaw should track down and delete any "non conforming" files, or otherwise isolate them so they aren't used. The flaw is fixed then updated files posted to production. In an ISO shop that is actually a procedure to follow.

I found process files to be kind of neat, but not needed, however I wouldn't want the feature removed. When I go to slice a new part I look in my library of similar factory files with the same type of plastic, ABS, PETG, etc. Open factory file and save as a new factory file, then import the new parts. Change any settings specific to that part, adjust supports if needed, orient, step and repeat etc. It is just what works for me. The process and all my settings are stored in the factory file so it is all I have a library of. I've found all my ABS prints about the same even from different manufacturers and with the same filament diameter of 1.73 average. I consider almost all of my ABS factory files pretty much interchangeable unless they are really old. I just use the newest ABS factory file and go from there.

If someone wanted to make a custom process for every filament type, color, manufacturer and it improves their quality and repeat ability, then go for it. I think it is a little too much trouble for most things though.
studiokite

Unfortunately I have extremely different machines with important firmware, scripts, workspace and fff settings.

switching between the 2 is a pain so I have created a new windows profile.

I now no longer get the fff profiles mixed up and can switch between the 2 quickly.

It would be nice to have simplify ask which printer and then open if you have multiple machines. Possibly also show in the title bar which printer you are using.

Guess it may be added next update. Probably not though so windows user it is.
MIKET

I'm having issues also. When i print an object on my CR10, and use a SD card and after a print i want to make some changes to it (did not save it as a factory file) I go to the gcode and it shows the tool path, how do I get to make changes? it does not go back to edit preview mode. It only says profile drop down list. How do I get it back to make changes to it?
dkightley

Here's where you're going wrong
..... (did not save it as a factory file) ....
Can you really expect the software to predict what you are wanting to do? If there might be a need to use something again...then SAVE it! And its really isn't difficult to save a copy .....and it's everything you need to be able to go back to.....as a factory file.

Get into the habit of saving ......every time you change something. Even as multiple versions if you need a history.
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net
blkmgk

Trying to move my install from one computer to another without having to go through tons of hoops to setup my slicer again. Having to activate and deactivate is a hassle but not THAT big a deal. But with no ability to move files containing settings I'm in a bit of a more difficult spot. I should export and import a bunch of profiles? Will I need anything else? Storing everything in the Registry, and worse wiping it with a "reset", seems pretty dangerous and ill advised! Is there a document anywhere detailing how a migration to new hardware should be done? When I deactivate on one computer will I no longer have access to my settings if I need to use one to setup another? :(

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”