tobyCwood

Material Settings is just wrong.

So when I save a new material all that is saved there is the temperature. That is sooo useless! When I change the material EVERTHING pertinent to the material needs to change! Not just temp. For example, TPU needs a slower speed. Nylon needs the cooling fan set at 0% and a faster speed. Etc.

The only way I can REALLY manage my settings across my materials and across my machines because this is so snafu'ed is to save all the settings into the Profile and ignore the useless materials setting.

How about FIXING that!
blackbird2016

Re: Material Settings is just wrong.

The fff profile could be "programmed" fully to your likings.
Export your profile and open withh a text editor and move the settings you want saved with the materials in the material auto configure section.
Then reimport in S3D and voila.
Use the search function, there are tons of threads about this matter out there....
tobyCwood

yes.. the fff profile is at the printer profile level and that is the issue. When you have more then 1 kind of printer the profiles pile up! I have a profile for every material for every printer. The menu goes off the screen!
blackbird2016

And that is where you are wrong.
There is no need for separate profiles for every printer and material.
I own two printers and have exactly one (1) profile for each.
In that profile I just can change layer thickness, and materials and all other
related settings change automatically with it.
TheBum

That brings up a general question: Which tabs in the profiles correspond to the printer as a whole and which can vary by the selected material?

For example, Layer, Additions, Infill, and Support tab settings could be global across the profile. Are they? Extruder, Temperature, and Cooling should be material-specific. Are they? That leaves Scripts, Other, and Advanced as unknowns.

Scripts should be material-specific IMO because the G-code needed for various transitions could be different for different materials (e.g. different amounts of retraction).
brunofporto

I stopped using Simplify3D for some months now. For one single reason: please DO SOME BETTER PROFILE MANAGEMENT system :D

It is very time-consuming to manually mess with FFF profiles only to make simple things like change filament type.... Every time I tweak some start gcode I need to change it at all profiles..... Please have profiles dedicated for printer, filament, and printing. Just that! Simple thing! I choose PLA and the temperatures, cooling and etc are set correctly. Simple as that :D
wklight

YES!, yes, yes.....

Got 2 nozzles running different materials. I should be able to run different cooling speeds as well.. Did I read the above correctly, These edits can be made in the factory file?
S3D-Jake

wklight,

I believe Bruno is referencing the editing of FFF profiles. You can of course do simple modifications like adjusting the fan speeds for new materials or updating the printing temperature using the user interface's add material button (first link below). After making the changes to your new material specific settings simply click either update profile or save as new. However more advanced edits to the structure of the profile need to be done externally (2nd link below).

"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."
TrevorG

The basic problem is that there is NO Profile Management. As profiles are at the core of Simplify3D it is a major problem and needs to be addressed by the development team as a matter of urgency.

Suggestions of workrounds and other fudges are irrelevant. It should be straightfoward and obvious to use without any additional assistance. Compared with the more technical issues that Simplify3D deals with providing this functionality is trivial.

As MINIMUM the following is required:
1) Ability to sort profiles into any order required.
2) Ability to group profiles
3) Abilty to turn display of groups of profiles on and off
4) Abilty to set & display a comment/description for each profile
5) Ability to rename profiles

I can think of other features but the above are the essentails and are not difficult to acheive.

Trevor
S3D-Jake

Great feedback guys!

I'll certainly be sharing your ideas for the organization/display/editing of profiles with our developers.
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."

Return to “Feature Requests”