Arcadenut

Variable Density Infill horizontally

I want to vary the infill of the part horizontally rather than layer by layer.

This would be primarily used for parts that are printed with Flexible materials.

For example, I need to print something like this (attachment):

The areas in RED I would want to be at something like 100% Infill, where as the rest of the part I would only want at say 20% infill.

Right now the whole part needs to be the same Infill %. I want the arms to be able to stretch, but all the areas around the hole I need to be stiff.

I could do separate processes if I cut the model up into multiple pieces, but it would be nice if I could just select parts to vary the infill as I might not know where to adjust the infill until I've printed a few pieces.
Attachments
Part Variable Infill example.png
TheBum

Re: Variable Density Infill horizontally

I know this is a bit tedious, but you can always split the model into multiple meshes and apply a different process to each mesh to control infill. So, it's possible, just not convenient at the moment.
arhi

Re: Variable Density Infill horizontally

it's tedious and almost impossible with s3d (maybe, just maybe we get the mesh modifiers in s3d in future to solve this) to do with processes but you can use a trick I used to use back when not a single slicer available had the option to vary the infill ... add holes to make your part stronger :D .. tiny tiny holes, it's counter intuitive but works like a charm :D .. what's the biggest hole that's "not printable" on your printer... on most of my printers 1mm hole will be "almost 100% filled".. test on your printer.. 0.5-1mm holes get the job done :) space them according to amount of perimeters you are printing with and the width of your perimeter ... so e.g. if you have 0.5mm perimeter and you print with 2 perimeters space them 2mm apart

look at the example
part (holes are 0.5mm dia, 2mm apart):
Capture.JPG
slice, 0% infill 2 perimeters ... see, it's almost 100% infill in the area where the holes are:
Capture1.JPG
if you add more perimeters .. e.g. 3 you can make it even stronger
Capture2.JPG
gcodestat integrates with Simplify3D and allow you to
Calculate print time accurately (acceleration, max speed, junction deviation all taken into consideration)
Embed M117 codes into G-Code
Upload your G-Code directly to Octoprint
open source and unlicence

Return to “Feature Requests”