Fizbane

First Layer Gaps Poor Quality

I am at a loss for why my CR-10S has problems with the 1st layer of prints. After the 1st layer the overall quality is good even excellent on some prints but the 1st layer is stringy and does not seem to stick to the rest of the print. What really throws me off here is the bed adhesion is rock solid.

I have attached photos of the issue and then the quality past the 1st layer or so.

Any help would be appreciated thanks.

-Sean
Attachments
IMG_0207.jpg
IMG_0206.jpg
IMG_0205.jpg
brunofporto

Re: First Layer Gaps Poor Quality

I am having this issues too... This made me go back to slic3r PE......... Following :D
dkightley

This is symptomatic of the first layer being printed a little too high above the bed.

What you need to do is to prepare a small test piece (to save plastic & time) and adjust the globalZ field (on the gcode tab) by a negative amount....it can go negative! Adjust by half a layer thickness...and try a print. Look at the finish of the bottom and adjust again if reqd...etc.

The bottom of the part should be flat and smooth and not show the separate extrusions....but should also not squish the layer so it forms what is termed an "elephants foot"
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net
brunofporto

I have this issue even with heavily squished first layer and no issue at all with Slic3r for the same printer and settings.

Not sure what settings I changed at Simplify3D to start it.... One day I did not had it and after tweaking several settings it started to happens at all my profiles. Even recovering old backups did not solve the issue and it made me go back to Slic3r PE

Edit: I was going to test to show the issue here but.... The issue is gone....
Last edited by brunofporto on Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
airscapes

starting height, filament diameter (measure it, it is not always 1.75 ) and extrusion multiplier all need to be correct.
I have attached a small 2 layer stl
Attachments
26x26x.4 2 layers at .2.stl
(684 Bytes) Downloaded 171 times
Fizbane

Appreciate the responses. I verified the diameter of the filament and the extrusion where all good it appears that a small adjustment to the starting height may have done the trick in the end.

Printing out another larger model to verify as it past with flying colors using the 2 layer sample Airscapes posted.

-Sean

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”