Alex Borro

[ADDED] Honeycomb infill

I'm quite experienced in this FFF world and so far using slicing tools like Cura, Slic3r and Kisslicer.
After 2 weeks trying S3D I could say it is a great slicer with huge potential...but still missing some features present in other slicers specially Slic3r.

The one I miss more is HoneyComb infill. It is slower to print but helps to strengthen the part.
It really makes difference and I guess it would be a great improvement to Simplify3D.

Cheers.

Alex.
pdegior

Re: [Feature Request] Honeycomb infill

+1 I'm sure this has been requested before. I would love to see it added.
wifiguru10

I second this request, sometimes I'd rather have the print take longer and be stronger than for it to be as fast as possible.
laird

I know it's a not a huge deal, but I'd like to have a much wider range of infill patterns. Concentric circles, hexagons, a regular grid pattern, all are useful at times. For example, I fill some prints with ball bearings, and if there are many independent chambers for them to fill it works a lot better than hollow or filled with random lines. And there are times when interior fill patterns are visible (e.g. printing in clear PLA) and the pattern has aesthetic value. I've even used the (absurd) cat fill pattern, because it's fun when printing PLA to surprise people with subtle things like that.
DonaldJ

I'll third that request...
GeraldO

I'm also going to throw my hat in for this feature request. I'm a very big fan of Simplify3D and use it as my only slicer now however, when I"m printing at speed my infill turns into whispy fluff since the lines are not aligned between layers.

If I'm printing at >100mm/s with a low density infill, the infill becomes pretty useless where other slicer's implementations (such as honeycomb) are all layer aligned and successive layer's worth of infill don't have to bridge over the previous layer's infill.

PLEASE, add this. It can't be too difficult, can it? :)
JoeJ

FYI - You can turn off the "Use random infill placement" option if you want each successive layer of infill to be aligned with the one before it
GeraldO

That was a good suggestion and I gave it a shot but it's still going to bridge across a gap. Albeit a much shallower gap, but at sparse infills it'll still cause tearing of the filament :(
Recoil

I also would like to see honeycomb added to Simplify3D.
laird

Joe, thanks. That's a big improvement!

Return to “Feature Requests”