subnoize

S3D + (Lulzbot Taz 6 * Aerostruder) = Nice!

Hello!

After struggling with the new Aerostruder on my Lulzbot Taz 6 I think I have resolved most of the issues. Aleph Object's tech support are clueless sometimes and that really sucked but I managed to correct the PLA and even pulled off a wonderful first time NinjaFlex print yesterday.

Please note that I DID NOT do a PID autotune like Aleph Techs will tell you. The forum over there will even run you further astray so just keep the fan on a slow ramp because it is way more powerful than it should be. Its a blessing and a curse. The bridging is really good when you pop that fan to 100% (never run it above 80% normally).

Anyways, find my public repo here; https://github.com/youcangetme/Simplify ... esTaz6.git

*NOTE: The only alterations I made to the factory settings after flashing the new Aerostruder firmware and following the directions to reset the EEPROM is to adjust the steps for the extruder. I printed the 20mm cube in the STL directory of my repo until the top layers sealed up and I couldn't blow air through it using my lips (highly scientific lips there ;-).

**NOTE: Only the profiles marked with the word "Aerostruder" are tuned to the Aerostruder.

I hope this will help others. The PLA Pro is easily converted to plain PLA by adjust the extruder temp. ABS will be a variation of that and when I get to an ABS project I will publish those as well.

Blue Skys!

--jb
subnoize

Re: S3D + (Lulzbot Taz 6 * Aerostruder) = Nice!

Ooops! I forgot to push the changes to github. They are there now :-)
subnoize

Aparently the guys over at Lulzbot/Aleph Objects are slowly admitting to botching the Aerostruder. Thankfully the workaround has been around for a lot longer than the Aerostruder; https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0777 ... UTF8&psc=1

To bad they didn't just include one in the box or send all of us one in the mail to make up for the lost revenue and materials.

The Taz 6 printer is great, best on the market. The E3D V6 is probably the best print head on the market. The Lulzbot customer service needs some work.

I will rework my profiles soon.

--jb
jockspice

JB,
You are a star! Thanks very much for these.
I had to send one Aerostruder back as it wouldn't hold temp with the fans on, with support continuously telling me the problem was my Taz, or my firmware, or where I had the printer in the room, or everything but the bloody toolhead. I got another toolhead and it was a bit better, but with the E3D sock it is now the toolhead it should have been.
Cheers,
Dave
subnoize

jockspice wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:56 am JB,
You are a star! Thanks very much for these.
I had to send one Aerostruder back as it wouldn't hold temp with the fans on, with support continuously telling me the problem was my Taz, or my firmware, or where I had the printer in the room, or everything but the bloody toolhead. I got another toolhead and it was a bit better, but with the E3D sock it is now the toolhead it should have been.
Cheers,
Dave
I am still having issues with the head but at least the heating problem is solved. When you get it tuned right for the filament being used it makes probably the best print on the market under $10,000.00. It's just more susceptible to variation in the filament. Takes more tuning.

Glad I could help!
tantrim

subnoize wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:25 am I am still having issues with the head but at least the heating problem is solved. When you get it tuned right for the filament being used it makes probably the best print on the market under $10,000.00. It's just more susceptible to variation in the filament. Takes more tuning.

Glad I could help!
Subnoise I'm about to buy an Aero toolhead for my Taz 6. I noticed that you can buy one directly from Lulzbot or from IT-Works3d. Do you know which one I should go for? I plan on using flexible filament
subnoize

tantrim wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:40 pm
subnoize wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:25 am I am still having issues with the head but at least the heating problem is solved. When you get it tuned right for the filament being used it makes probably the best print on the market under $10,000.00. It's just more susceptible to variation in the filament. Takes more tuning.

Glad I could help!
Subnoise I'm about to buy an Aero toolhead for my Taz 6. I noticed that you can buy one directly from Lulzbot or from IT-Works3d. Do you know which one I should go for? I plan on using flexible filament
I am not very happy with the Lulzbot implementation to be honest. I have a lot of trouble with it and it is my opinion that the design just straight up wasn't tested extensively before being released. Then they changed cura to attempt to fix the bad design and it's been hard to tune in S3D.

Wish I could tell you about the other product but you just told me it existed! Something I do now know is Lulzbot doesn't have a R&D department. They just leach off the open source community. Does their printer have a bunch of features, sure! Is any of it original, nope!

Now, would I buy my Tax 6 again? Yeah, I would. 3D print tech for fff is pretty much not moving forwards at this time. They have the most features in a single package.

Would I buy the Aerostruder again, no. Stick with the original head for the time being until they get a better implementation OR risk a third party.

Hope that helps.

pS. I am very disappointed in TPU. I needed something much more squishy. It's just a hard, rubbery plastic. It will not return to shape if stretched.
tantrim

subnoize wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:02 am I am not very happy with the Lulzbot implementation to be honest. I have a lot of trouble with it and it is my opinion that the design just straight up wasn't tested extensively before being released. Then they changed cura to attempt to fix the bad design and it's been hard to tune in S3D.

Wish I could tell you about the other product but you just told me it existed! Something I do now know is Lulzbot doesn't have a R&D department. They just leach off the open source community. Does their printer have a bunch of features, sure! Is any of it original, nope!

Now, would I buy my Tax 6 again? Yeah, I would. 3D print tech for fff is pretty much not moving forwards at this time. They have the most features in a single package.

Would I buy the Aerostruder again, no. Stick with the original head for the time being until they get a better implementation OR risk a third party.

Hope that helps.

pS. I am very disappointed in TPU. I needed something much more squishy. It's just a hard, rubbery plastic. It will not return to shape if stretched.
Thanks for the information! TPU is fine for my application which is impact resistance so luckily it never gets stretched.. just smashed :P
I do drone racing and people protect the carbon fiber arm ends with TPU "socks".

What is your opinion on going to 1.75mm or staying with 2.85mm?
pfactor

Anyone having trouble with thermal runaway errors?
subnoize

tantrim wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:15 am Thanks for the information! TPU is fine for my application which is impact resistance so luckily it never gets stretched.. just smashed :P
I do drone racing and people protect the carbon fiber arm ends with TPU "socks".

What is your opinion on going to 1.75mm or staying with 2.85mm?
Sorry! I never got the notification about this message!

Stick with 2.85. Anything less is hobby.

Moving up to a Taz Pro Wednesday. Thursday will be fireworks and PETG all day, with a side of some burned meat and beer.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”