ctilley79

Where is version 4.1?

You guys are obviously having issues getting this into production. Do you need beta testers? programmers? What can I do to help? It really bugs me (no pun intended) that I purchased this software at the end of January and there hasn't been a single update since then. For $150, I expect regular updates, every six weeks at least. Sorry to moan but I'm starting to feel ripped off considering there's free software out there that is outperforming S3D at the moment.
PatDebos

Re: Where is version 4.1?

Hi,

I must say that I agree with you. When you see all the new features added constantly to Cura (not all are really needed or even really functional) but they're still alive !!!

We can just hope that they're working on a huge release with a lot of improvements but I have a doubt on that. Let's hope I'm wrong.
S3D-Jake

As was stated yesterday (viewtopic.php?f=8&t=10691#p43318), We're alive, working hard on 4.1, and plan to post a more thorough development update soon.
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."
airscapes

To be honest $150 is 2-3 tanks of gas worth of money.. or one trip to the grocery store.. A single cpu license for an oracle db a $55,000 to put things in perspective.. Updates would be nice, current documentations would be nice.. but at $150 a pop, I can see where that would not happen as fast as we would like.. I to am frustrated but I didn't pay $55,0000
mroek

airscapes wrote: To be honest $150 is 2-3 tanks of gas worth of money.. or one trip to the grocery store.. A single cpu license for an oracle db a $55,000 to put things in perspective.. Updates would be nice, current documentations would be nice.. but at $150 a pop, I can see where that would not happen as fast as we would like.. I to am frustrated but I didn't pay $55,0000
S3D should be compared to similar kinds of software, like Cura and other slicers. In that respect, since S3D is paid for, one would at least expect update rate to be in the same ballpark as the free alternatives. Comparing S3D to Oracle is just silly.
airscapes

mroek wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:46 pm
airscapes wrote: To be honest $150 is 2-3 tanks of gas worth of money.. or one trip to the grocery store.. A single cpu license for an oracle db a $55,000 to put things in perspective.. Updates would be nice, current documentations would be nice.. but at $150 a pop, I can see where that would not happen as fast as we would like.. I to am frustrated but I didn't pay $55,0000
S3D should be compared to similar kinds of software, like Cura and other slicers. In that respect, since S3D is paid for, one would at least expect update rate to be in the same ballpark as the free alternatives. Comparing S3D to Oracle is just silly.
OpenSource has lots of people working on it.. Once it becomes preparatory that pool of people decrease. I am not arguing with you, just stating the fact that it was inexpensive software and not supported by a huge workforce as we are not paying yearly support or a monthly subscriptions to pay for that work force. Opensource is just that, open to anyone to work on and lots of times better documented and supported than propitiatory software. If Cura is just as good or better then why buy S3D? Personally at this point I am too lazy to go learn Cura, I have 6 month invested in S3D. Is Cura a better product??
SWCNT

I would still say S3D is the better slicer vs Cura (3.4.1, I think the newest?). S3D has its idiosyncrasies for sure, but it's still the best slicer I've used. I think those of us using it are going to continue to use it regardless of x updates in y time frame. It works well, and off the top of my head, I cannot think of any "must have" feature for the software that would change my life.
arhi

mroek wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:46 pm S3D should be compared to similar kinds of software, like Cura and other slicers.
well maybe other "paid" or "non open source" are the better comparison the cura .. e.g.

- kisslicer pro / premium (40/60eur I think, I tried it)
- netfabb professional (~1000eur .. this is the worst spent money I EVER did :( have the dongle, never use it - does not even work on my computer any more)
- selfcad (10$ monthly - i tested it using trial period)

eventually few other closed one like
craftware (/me likes but still missing lot of advanced features you get with s3d)
Up/TearTime Studio (weird, locked ... )
meshmixer (tbh I don't know how to use this as general use slicer, works ok for mixing meshes :D but slicing... dunno, maybe I didn't invest enough time)

and IMHO s3d is better then them all by a long shot .. while they do tend to have a feature or two more (e.g. kisslicer have that fancy pattern on the shell) s3d is order of magnitude better slicer .. (and I'm the one complaining about the s3d non stop so go figure :D )

the open source ones are a totally different breed .. and are imo not very comparable ..

so all in all, while s3d really should imo change the behavior and communicate with community a bit more + change release policy and "release often" rather then release once every never .. it's still best slicer out there..
gcodestat integrates with Simplify3D and allow you to
Calculate print time accurately (acceleration, max speed, junction deviation all taken into consideration)
Embed M117 codes into G-Code
Upload your G-Code directly to Octoprint
open source and unlicence
nsarzyns

S3D-Jake wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:19 am As was stated yesterday (viewtopic.php?f=8&t=10691#p43318), We're alive, working hard on 4.1, and plan to post a more thorough development update soon.
Why was the post "Has Simply3d downsized their developers to null?" locked? I replied to the original poster and yes I glad to see a response but seeing it was locked, just blocked a customer interaction and more so with the community.
KSum

Looking forward to an update. Hoping for,
- API plugin system
- Support for more than 6 tools or support for mixing extruders
- Saving of COM port and Baud Rate per machine
- Autosave profile settings after clicking OK

I'm sure there's a lot more that is in the update, these just happen to be my prioritized list of preferences.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”