WhiteHare

How can I get honeycomb as an exterior fill pattern too?

I'm building a box for an electronics project, and I want it to be well ventillated so that heat can escape. It would be great, therefore, if I could make the exterior infill pattern be honeycomb, but it doesn't appear to be an option. It is an option for interior infill, but that wouldn't help in is case.

Is there a way I can get honeycomb as the exterior infill pattern?
arhi

Re: How can I get honeycomb as an exterior fill pattern too?

:) I do this quite often for electronic boxes. Turn the top/bottom layers to 0 so you have only the infill and you will have honeycomb ventilation trough all ...
gcodestat integrates with Simplify3D and allow you to
Calculate print time accurately (acceleration, max speed, junction deviation all taken into consideration)
Embed M117 codes into G-Code
Upload your G-Code directly to Octoprint
open source and unlicence
WhiteHare

Thanks! That's what I'll do:
project_box_honeycomb.png
greybeard

Excellent!! Thank you for the Honeycomb infill tip :D

I make many electronic/gizmo boxes and, if venting is needed, I add holes (in the model). But, now I’ll start using honeycomb infill.
Wish it could be done on side walls (as part of the the box) instead of separately then, pieced together.

I made the attached as a quick test - showing Two models (each with a separate print process) to demonstrate putting a Logo/etc in the Honeycomb - the base and the center/text-logo are separate models:
1 - Text and dumb logo
2 - Honeycomb filled base

Normally, my box walls/Top/Btm are 2mm thick but, this part is 5mm as I wasn’t sure how strong the honeycomb would be. And, I wasn’t looking for good quality text - only something representative for quick test… But, it turned out Great!

(note: my approach to separate models is a great way to include screw bosses in the field of the honeycomb - that way, the boss walls are thick enough for tap threading/etc through the ability to include shells).

Yes - it is strong enough to do this on thin parts.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-08-05 at 4.04.50 PM.png
honey.png
3D Print Parts
https://www.thingiverse.com/Still_Breathing/designs
WhiteHare

greybeard wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:58 pm Excellent!! Thank you for the Honeycomb infill tip :D

I make many electronic/gizmo boxes and, if venting is needed, I add holes (in the model). But, now I’ll start using honeycomb infill.
Wish it could be done on side walls (as part of the the box) instead of separately then, pieced together.

I made the attached as a quick test - showing Two models (each with a separate print process) to demonstrate putting a Logo/etc in the Honeycomb - the base and the center/text-logo are separate models:
1 - Text and dumb logo
2 - Honeycomb filled base

Normally, my box walls/Top/Btm are 2mm thick but, this part is 5mm as I wasn’t sure how strong the honeycomb would be. And, I wasn’t looking for good quality text - only something representative for quick test… But, it turned out Great!

(note: my approach to separate models is a great way to include screw bosses in the field of the honeycomb - that way, the boss walls are thick enough for tap threading/etc through the ability to include shells).

Yes - it is strong enough to do this on thin parts.
How do you orientate the "model within a model"? Do you move it about by eye, or is there a way to precisely position it?
greybeard

Using a CAD program (I use Solidworks and FreeCAD). The example was done in FreeCAD so, I’ll explain thus…

Different ways to approach modeling in FreeCAD but, this is my way and basically parallels Solidworks and other parametric modelers.

NOTE: Syntax of what stuff is ‘called’ differs between programs… and it’s quicker to do than to read this, ‘how to do it’ I’ll try to be clear…

Using my posted example/similar:
In FreeCAD, Go to PartDesign Workbench.
Start a new File.
Add a new Part.
Add a new Body.
Design the bottom, such as a rectangle for the base.

Add another new Body to the Part file and Activate it.
Design the Logo’s rectangle (shape, text… etc).

Now, you have a rectangle with a smaller rectangle in the center (or wherever you placed it). They are separate parts (not attached) located in space with respect to the Origin. But, look like one part.

Select one Body (or the last feature in the Body - depends on several things but, goal is to select the thing you want to export). Export as .STL

Now, select the other Body and export it as .stl

Because they retain their positions with respect to the Origin and you want to maintain that, do this:

In Simplify3d, Uncheck (in Pref’s) to NOT Automatically center and arrange models.

Now, add each part as normally done (drag or import). They land at the correct relative positions.
Do NOT click ‘center and arrange’. Instead, select both at same time, and move them together to desired location on print bed.

Now, create a process for each part (be sure to set them individually in the ‘Select models’ tab. Adjust your processes for printing (of course, the base will be 0 layers, Honeycomb infill…etc) and the Logo part will be as you prefer.

Select the those two Processes and Prepare to Print.

Bingo! No need to mess around positioning them individually and they will print as one contiguous part.

The images below show the Boss with 6 shells and the base with 2 shells and honeycomb.

Note: FreeCAD is free and is a fairly decent program... Use it's "Part Design" workbench not the "Part" workbench (though it's good to know it too)...

[ADDED] screenshot of the modeling in FreeCAD
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-08-07 at 2.34.56 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-08-07 at 2.01.17 PM.png
3D Print Parts
WhiteHare

Thanks! I'll have to try to translate that into Fusion360....

Before knowing about your technique, what I did was far more primitive, yet very quick:
honeycomb_standoffs.jpg
Basically, I pierced the floor of the enclosure with the stand-off boltdown holes and then turned up the number of perimeters to 25. That way the "pad" for the standoff was firmly entrenched into honeycomb support.
greybeard

Clever!

Shouldn't matter what software you use as long as you have the ability to position the part.

If needing to position it in Simplify3d (because you can't do it in Fusion360), you can double-click the part for the pop-up window (on the logo rectangle, for instance) and position it via the pop-up window. Sure, you need to know where to put...
3D Print Parts
WhiteHare

Here it is with the PCB bolted to the standoffs using M3 screws:
pcb_bolted.jpg
and here is the back of the case:
back_standoffs.jpg
greybeard

Looks good! We appear to have a somewhat similar interest in gizmo's https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sezbbfo ... e=youtu.be

The "Show More" expands to show more :lol:
3D Print Parts

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”