talz13

Embossed Text on Surface - one word starting at first of 5 top layers?

I just started using S3D a few days ago, and have printed a few models from it. Today, I just made a new object in Fusion 360, exported the STL, loaded it up in S3D and checked out the preview.

I have two words embossed on the flat top surface. When previewing, I noticed that one of the words starts outlining the text about 5 layers before it finishes the top surface (or the entire top shell - 5 layers on top). The other word does not start printing until the top layer is finished, as I would expect.

Any idea what's going on here?

Here's where it starts outlining the text of the one word, while printing the top layer of the object:
S3D text layers.PNG
Here's the preview at the end of the print:
S3D text layers 2.PNG
S3D-Jake

Re: Embossed Text on Surface - one word starting at first of 5 top layers?

Hi Talz,

Printing text with our new thin wall features is made much easier! Depending on how much area there is in between the outlines of your raised text there will be either gap fill, nothing, or normal infill. If you find that the area is small enough that thi nwall settings come into play, the settings to look at will be External & Internal Thin Wall Type. For Internal You can enable gap fill, Allow single extrusions, or switch to perimeters only. (External is similar without the gap fill option) More on these options here.

The way the solid top infill outlines the area of the text can be smoothed out by using the infill option "Include solid diaphragm every X layers" set the X layer as the layer number of that top flat surface. More on this feature here. We actually used this tip in one of our prints earlier this year. https://www.facebook.com/simplify3d/pos ... 4373831235

Upload your factory file and I bet some users here will be willing to take a closer look.
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."
talz13

I gave the solid diaphragm setting a shot. It does give a nice single solid layer on the top before starting to print the letters. Still has the "hole" on the top layers below that, but it's definitely workable for now!
dkightley

Some Fusion 360 users have reported an issue when using S3D where there is a "void" generated between interleaving objects....which the text on this part probably is.

The issue is resolved by using the "Separate Connected Surfaces" option on the Mesh dropdown. This separates the multiple meshes that exist in the stl file, creating multiple items in the model lis…..and resolving the "void" issue.
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net
wirlybird

I'm going to add that it also seems to do this on text and other items depending on if the item above the top layers has "infill" or not.
As you can see your word "Tech" has infill in the letters where the " 'S " does not.
So, my conclusion is that for the letters "Tech" it sees that infill can continue up into the letters whereas for the "S" there is no infill so it makes top layers under the "S" since the letter is only perimeters.
talz13

wirlybird wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:59 pm I'm going to add that it also seems to do this on text and other items depending on if the item above the top layers has "infill" or not.
As you can see your word "Tech" has infill in the letters where the " 'S " does not.
So, my conclusion is that for the letters "Tech" it sees that infill can continue up into the letters whereas for the "S" there is no infill so it makes top layers under the "S" since the letter is only perimeters.
That sounds like the best explanation yet. For now, I'm just letting it do its thing, and the results are looking good.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”