stonefox

Help with support settings

Making support material is the task I hate the most.

How do I ensure there is enough support?
How do I make sure it's easy to remove?
Must I change "Support Pillar Resolution" and "Max Overhang Angle" and manually add something so there are different size of resolutions?
Attachments
2018-08-09_13-53-30.jpg
2018-08-09_13-53-30.jpg (45.91 KiB) Viewed 2490 times
airscapes

Re: Help with support settings

Unfortunately this is one of the areas where 3d printing is more of an art form than a science.
You have to experiment and learn what is needed in each model. I have been printing miniatures for that past 6 months when I got my printer and I eventually figured out what works, but sometimes still have a failure and have to alter and reprint.
I agree it is a real pain, but just a fact of the way the fabrications process works.

When I start printing other larger items, the setting I use for tiny miniatures won't work well and I will be back on the learning curve.
If you have not read all the docs that are in the support area of this forum that would be a good place to start.

One thing you can do is go to thingiverse and find an overhang test model to see how many degrees your printer will print cleanly without support and use that number in overhang degrees. That number is used to tell the auto generate support function where to put support.. any over hang with a greater degree than that setting. The size of the model and the detail will determine the resolution. For my little tiny guys they are printed at 1mm for something larger with no detail such as a box I might try 3 or 4. Again, when that time comes I an going to be guessing.
You will also manually add and remove supports that are auto generated once you start to learn what is needed.. Auto is not perfect.
Good luck and keep going you will get it!
stonefox

Is there one of the models on thingiverse you would recommend as a test?
airscapes

This is the one I used
overhang_test.stl
(253.01 KiB) Downloaded 235 times
stonefox

Then I print the overhang test file, it's without any support i suppose ?

Is there a descriptin to the file ?

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”