dennisjm

Skirt not matching first layer

I know this has been mentioned several times that the skirt doesn't always match the first layer.

I wanted to point out that it's worse than that though. It doesn't always match the object at all.. In this case, a standard 20mm cube offset slightly to not be on the platform then print with support. The skirt changes shape from square to triangle.
Screen Shot 2014-06-30 at 10.42.57 AM.png
Anyway, I tried on a couple objects to print a brim of several layers when I was experimenting with a small corner and sticking to the hot bed but I was unable because I couldn't get the brim to match the part. Hopefully a bug that can be squashed soon.
jimc

Re: Skirt not matching first layer

dennis thats an odd one. the skirt is usually a distance away when it doesnt match the base not going through the first layer like that. i have slices hundreds of models and i have never had this happen. can you post up the factory file?
dennisjm

It's easy to reproduce, just enable supports on the 20mm box. The model might not even need supports but with them enabled it breaks this way. Disable supports and the skirt prints properly.
skirt.factory
(2.45 KiB) Downloaded 200 times
jimc

dennis, i just downloaded your file, loaded into s3d, checked your process to make sure supports were enabled and it slices just fine with the skirt right where is supposed to be.
dennisjm

jimc wrote:dennis, i just downloaded your file, loaded into s3d, checked your process to make sure supports were enabled and it slices just fine with the skirt right where is supposed to be.
Well that's funky.. it did it every time before, but when I reloaded that factory file now it doesn't. Interesting. Glad I got a screenshot so I'm not crazy. If it happens again I'll see if there is something else unique to the setup not reproduced by the factory file.
jimc

you got it. keep me posted
dennisjm

jimc wrote:you got it. keep me posted
Lol, it did it the very next time I switched processes.
dennisjm

You know I actually see this all the time, slice an object with supports enabled but when you don't actually need any supports, that seems to be the key. If it doesn't do it just re-slice without supports then do it again with. Happens very consistently for me.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”