mroek

[SOLVED]Recess in model affects infill - bug?

This one is maybe not a biggie, but it annoys me, so I'm posting to report it, or have an explanation why S3D behaves like this.

Look at this image:
s3d_bug.jpg
This is just a test model of a cylindrical shape which has some very shallow (0.6 mm tall) cutouts in it (towards the printbed in this case). These cutouts somehow affects slicing (both infill and solid layers in the cutouts themselves), even if the cutouts in reality are finished printing after layer 2 (with 0.3 mm layer height). In the attached factory file, it prints solid layers up until layer 5, and when the infill starts at layer 6, those cutouts from the first two layers are still messing with the infill. I know there are ways to work around this by splitting into multiple process, but that shouldn't be necessary here, in my opinion.
Attachments
s3d_infill_bug.factory
(28.22 KiB) Downloaded 117 times
dkightley

Re: Recess in model affects infill - bug?

You tell the software to do something.....and it does it!

In your settings:
Capture1.JPG
Capture1.JPG (27.67 KiB) Viewed 1380 times
In the sliced model:
Capture.JPG
At point A......5 bottom solid layers
At point B......5 bottom solid layers.

No!...its not a bug!
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net
mroek

Re: Recess in model affects infill - bug?

Doh! It also counts bottom layers from the lowermost layer in the recesses, of course... Good thing I added the question mark in the subject then, because I clearly managed to confuse myself here. In this case the end result would be fine anyways, but to start a uniform infill after the first solid layer where the recesses have been closed, two processes must be used. Anyways, thanks for setting me straight.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”