mischl

Re: S3D Development Update - Aug 2018

PS - We typically share a few extra teasers via social media, so you might want to keep an eye on that too :)
which social media? can't find it... perhaps a link could help. thx
malt

The update will be available for free for the owners of version 4.0?
S3D-Chris

malt wrote: The update will be available for free for the owners of version 4.0?
Yes, Version 4.1 will be a free upgrade for all existing Version 4.0 customers!
roguemat

mischl wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:15 am
PS - We typically share a few extra teasers via social media, so you might want to keep an eye on that too :)
which social media? can't find it... perhaps a link could help. thx
https://twitter.com/Simplify3D/status/1 ... 4771611648
https://www.instagram.com/simplify3d/?hl=en

So what is the ETA for this? After a year (?) without updates I think more teasers will just be more annoying than anything.
wirlybird

Sounds great, looking forward to see what's in it!
brunofporto

S3D-Chris wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:33 am
malt wrote: The update will be available for free for the owners of version 4.0?
Yes, Version 4.1 will be a free upgrade for all existing Version 4.0 customers!
That is what made me bought it in the first place. :D Even with some features missing and the horrible organization of the profile system I am confident that they will solve issues and add features with time and I will be able to upgrade it.
C_Birch81

nuroo wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:46 pm Yea where's the beef??? This update says nothing but we're working on things.

+1 Cura has surpassed S3D, and they are actively updating with new features and fixing bugs.

The processes for different objects in S3D are great. Custom supports, I love. But haven't seen an update or any new features in more the 6 months.
Custom supports is something that i use and something i miss not having in Cura, The supports in Cura is hard work because i print things where sometimes i don't want supports in some places. So right now I'm still using Simplify for my 2 flashforge printers, but i need to use Cura for my Ultimaker S5 due to no profile. But i do wish they was for more active in updating Simplify. Hopefully in the next few weeks we will all be made happy.
S3D-Jake

C_Birch81 wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:38 pm ....but i need to use Cura for my Ultimaker S5 due to no profile....
Email our support team. They can help you with the S5's profile. :D
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."
mischl

With a bit a background of software engineering I would be interested to hear in general why there is only about one update per year.

Other companies do releases more often - with Onshape on the top every three weeks - what brings the advantage of smaller increments. This big bang integrations where all comes in over a long period are a bit old fashioned and more important, brings a lot of changes at different places with possible dependencies. IMHO S3D would free themselve from some hurdles with more but smaller updates.

Is it a problem of the build chain or the automated tests...?
PhillipM

Any word on if the various bugs around the 'print islands sequentially' option are fixed in 4.1?

It's causing me some real issues on batches of small parts having the start/stop in the same place on overhangs instead of randomised

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”