samsfisher

Incorrect hole sizes

I am using a UM2 with simplify3d. When printing a cylinder the OD of the part is close to the CAD dimensions whereas the hole diameter is always smaller by .4-.5mm. I am not sure what setting i am missing in simplify3d which kinda sacrifices the internal holes or empty space. I am sure the UM2 is calibrated as i do not see the same problem with cura or slic3r. I almost feel that simplify3d adds an extra line of material and in that process makes the part out of spec.

Looking forward to a solution/feedback.
vOidward

Re: Incorrect hole sizes

You might be seeing this bug: http://forum.simplify3d.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1182

When shells converge on top of each other, say you use 2 shells and there's an inner layer of shells and an outer like a donut or pipe and it gets narrower, the inside shells (non-perimeters) will overlap completely before reducing the amount of shells used.

I've emailed S3D to make sure they're aware of the issue. For me it will result in ringing/bulges on the outside finish of a model. I could see how this could affect inner diameters of objects.
AndersE

I am having similar problems.
I have tried to print a new extruder, but all holes for bearings and bolts get too small about 0.5mm.
Outside dimensions are spot on correct.

Never had this problem before.
theray

This is a known problem in all slicers...i've bought simplify because i found this problem on slic3r and cura and hoped that simplify would print ok...I've already contacted support for this problem but they say that is something wrong with my extruder ratio or something else...i think it's a simplify problem because outer perimeters or inner perimeters of non-circular form has the correct sizes...
exhyphen

My inside dimensions print too small by .5-.7mm as well, while the outsides are within .10mm depending on what I am trying for that print. I have been tinkering with the settings for a few days now, and confused by the results. It's as if the inside perimeters are shifted inward by one extrusion width...

And the weird thing is PLA didn't seem to act this way, as I got pretty close on a few parts' inside dimensions.
theray

got this problem with all slicers i've tried....the problems is present only on inner holes for me (only on circles not other shape)... if u draw a cricle and "cut" it making it a different shape it print perfect. I think this is a URGENT bug that have to be solved. I can consider it when designing a model, but not all ready2print models have this considered...
moraesgyn

How did you guys fixed this? the Outside of the part is spot on, but the holes on the inside are way to small...

Thanks!
horst.w

The last time I have print out a lot of such objects as they were tubes, adapters for vaccu-hoses, rings with inside and outside threads ...
I have never found an issue like descripted. The various of Inside and outside diameter was never greater than 0.5 mm, most < 0.3 mm also as exactly accurate. All prints with a 0.6 mm nozzle.
May it be an issue in the STL? Or do you use the Inch-dimension?

If someone attache an STL or factory-file of a concerned object I would test it.

Horst.w , GER
moraesgyn

Hey!

Thanks for checking!

The STL:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:54075/#files

here its what I get:

Please let me know of your findings...

Thanks!

Antonio
horst.w

STL long way 33.50 mm print 33.30
STL short way 19.10 mm print 19.04

Screwholes please have a look to the pictures.

The messures fpr the hexagon-hole for the screw-head has 2 messures, strait on and diagonal

Material HDGlass, 240 °, nozzle 0.30 ExtrusionWidt 0.92, no retracts, no coast - have look to the factory-file

A print with ASA on the 0.60 mm nozzel will follow later, at the moment I try temp 225°, ExtrusionWidth 0.90

I can attache only 3 pic here??? More pic than below
20151205_201140.jpg
20151205_201003.jpg
20151205_201022.jpg
Last edited by horst.w on Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”