zacware

Dissolvable Supports Help

I have a dual extruder Qidi Tech XPro and I’m having an issue printing with dissolvable filament. I’m using a built in setting in Simplyfy3D for printing with PVA and PLA at the same time. When the printer starts putting PLA on top of the PVA, the end result is the the bottom of the PLA doesn’t form well. So I’m assuming I would need to increase the infill of the dissolvable filament or reduce the gap between the dissolvable filament and the PLA. Before I start tinkering with settings over and over again I was just wondering if anyone had any tips for narrowing down the issue. Is going 100% infill with PVA a bad idea, or is reducing the gap to zero bad? Thanks in advance for any help.
C_Birch81

Re: Dissolvable Supports Help

Make sure you have dense support layers on for PVA support with 100% dense infill, this will give you a flat roof to your supports, normal support setting go with like 50% to start with. Also you want 0 gap between the top of the PVA and bottom of the PLA, dissolvable support is designed to act like part of the models layers that then dissolve away to give you a smooth under side.

Also make sure your PVA is dry before using.
zacware

Thanks!
batab

zacware wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:02 am I have a dual extruder Qidi Tech XPro and I’m having an issue printing with dissolvable filament. I’m using a built in setting in Simplyfy3D for printing with PVA and PLA at the same time. When the printer starts putting PLA on top of the PVA, the end result is the the bottom of the PLA doesn’t form well. So I’m assuming I would need to increase the infill of the dissolvable filament or reduce the gap between the dissolvable filament and the PLA. Before I start tinkering with settings over and over again I was just wondering if anyone had any tips for narrowing down the issue. Is going 100% infill with PVA a bad idea, or is reducing the gap to zero bad? Thanks in advance for any help.
Don't know if it can help or not with PVA but I guess so since it is very soft:
I have the XPro too and if you contact the support they send you 2 new extruder gears that should be better with soft materials like TPU. You will only have to pay few dollars for the shipment. They will also send you a step by step video in order to replace the extruder gear so it's not super hard.

Unfortunately though I have the new gears but have yet to print soft materials so I can't help more
zacware

Hey Thanks! I was wondering about TPU support too, so that's great to know!
batab wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:04 am
zacware wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:02 am I have a dual extruder Qidi Tech XPro and I’m having an issue printing with dissolvable filament. I’m using a built in setting in Simplyfy3D for printing with PVA and PLA at the same time. When the printer starts putting PLA on top of the PVA, the end result is the the bottom of the PLA doesn’t form well. So I’m assuming I would need to increase the infill of the dissolvable filament or reduce the gap between the dissolvable filament and the PLA. Before I start tinkering with settings over and over again I was just wondering if anyone had any tips for narrowing down the issue. Is going 100% infill with PVA a bad idea, or is reducing the gap to zero bad? Thanks in advance for any help.
Don't know if it can help or not with PVA but I guess so since it is very soft:
I have the XPro too and if you contact the support they send you 2 new extruder gears that should be better with soft materials like TPU. You will only have to pay few dollars for the shipment. They will also send you a step by step video in order to replace the extruder gear so it's not super hard.

Unfortunately though I have the new gears but have yet to print soft materials so I can't help more

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”