TopHATTwaffle

How can I configure the new Collision Detection?

The collision detection is something I've wanted for a while. Now that it is here, I am extremely underwhelmed. In the 2 attached screenshots there are 2 objects, each belonging to a different process. If they are close to each other, S3D will now print them layer by layer together. In the other image where they are apart, they print sequentially.

How does S3D know how close a part can be to another part? I haven't told it my carriage size. There is 0 visual feedback that the printing strategy has been changed other than scrubbing the layer previews. I can't seem to locate any settings to tune how this behaves.

As right now I'm able to place parts close enough to print sequentially that will cause a collision with my carriage.
Attachments
Simplify3D_2018-11-06_12-11-56.png
Simplify3D_2018-11-06_12-11-38.png
nuggetz

Re: How can I configure the new Collision Detection?

BUMP. I wanna know the details about this too. Why is there zero information?
TopHATTwaffle

Supports reply:
The feature added in Version 4.1 will automatically adjust the printing mode to avoid collisions between your parts. This happens automatically, so there are no additional settings you need to adjust to enable the behavior. As you noted, this allows you to easily transition back and forth between sequential printing and layer-by-layer printing based on the models that you have on the build platform, and how they interact with one another. In prior versions, this was one of the biggest sources of accidental collisions that we had seen from our users, so it was an important improvement for the software.

We plan on continuing to expand this functionality in the future. As you mentioned, we do not currently allow specifying custom carriage dimensions, but that could be a great additional that we could consider for future releases.

Please let us know if you have any further questions
So basically the feature is useless because collisions still happen and we can't define how large our print heads are.
andrewk72

TopHATTwaffle wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:42 am The feature added in Version 4.1 will automatically adjust the printing mode to avoid collisions between your parts. This happens automatically, so there are no additional settings you need to adjust to enable the behavior. As you noted, this allows you to easily transition back and forth between sequential printing and layer-by-layer printing based on the models that you have on the build platform, and how they interact with one another. In prior versions, this was one of the biggest sources of accidental collisions that we had seen from our users, so it was an important improvement for the software.
Thank goodness! I can't tell you how many times I accidentally used sequential printing mode on a multi-process print and ended up having a collision. I for one am very happy to see this addition :D

Sounds like you don't need to adjust any other options in the software, it just happens automatically. I just tested one of my old prints that failed in the past, and it definitely seems to be working as they described. It would have saved some damage to my print head if I would have had this a few months ago..
Menissalt

In reality they've just broken the already functional Sequential Printing for multiple parts and forced it to be layer by layer regardless of what settings you use. This "feature" removed functionality.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”