Frankz

Feature Request: Intelligent Auto-Arrange

The existing "Auto-Arrange" function is too naïve. For ex: If I have an object that is larger than the depth of the bed but shorter than the width of the bed, the software should automatically rotate the object 90 degree. If still not fit on the width, maybe rotate a certain degree may fit. This is very useful for irregular shaped objects. A lot of times, I have to rotate the object, add support, try a different angle, again and again to find out the best position of the object to get best result. Sometimes I just cannot find a best layout position. If I am printing a ruler, I can lay it flat, I can let it stand on its side, let it stand on its end, or let it stand in an angle that needs support. You can see it is best to lay it flat to get best result, but the software would never figure it out this way. So I request to add this feature.

What I envision the real auto arrange is having an algorithm to calculate the best position of the object that can give the best print result, minimal support material, minimal zigzag corner, fastest print time, align the longest surface with the bed, or whatever standard you name it. Also let advanced users choose parameters that they can change, ex, want minimal support, want smooth surface, etc. The software can also provide a few suggestion to let user choose which one users like the most. The selection should be categorized so users know which suggestion give what advantages and what disadvantages.
Umpa

Re: Feature Request: Intelligent Auto-Arrange

+1 on this. The times I have arranged objects and forgot to add one and when I do it totally screws the entire scheme. As is it is VERY frustrating.
Arcadenut

I agree. The automatic placement seems very odd. It's hard to predict where it will place it on the bed.

I also have an issue where I have a small part and I want to duplicate it say 30 times. Well, instead of filling up the entire bed, it places some parts off the table. while there are several inches of space on either side.

If I have a large object that uses both extruders, sometimes it doesn't center it on the table very well (it tends to be near the top).

It's a real pain to move things around as well because if I start moving stuff around then decide to add another part because I've found some room for it, things can get screwy.

The placement and arrangement system need an overhaul.
Attachments
Example of strange auto arrange
Example of strange auto arrange
2Mylent

Strongly agree.
Already, if you want to rotate and move an object, it must be done in 2 steps if this is anything like out of the printed area.
Simplify 3D // Printrbot Simple Metal + Heated Bed + E3D v6 // Prusa i3 base Rework 1.5 + Heated Bed 200x300 + E3D v6
furicks

I posted a similar request to this once upon a time so I agree with this entirely. We should be able to set the spacing between parts at the very minimum. I would also like to see other options for layout such as "constrain to build area" etc.
lithgowlights

Agreed here too. I have had to manually put way too many item back on the plate when there was more than enough room for them even without being rotated.
an39hgt

Its been years since many people requested this. Still don't see this option.
batab

Agree. Auto arrange with auto rotation in order to maximize the footprint for a good first layer and maximize the necessary bed space for the whole gcode.
cybrsage

I completely agree, I hate having to manually move things around after auto arrange has messed everything up.
TheBum

I would welcome this feature as well, but only if you could control the rotation angles allowed. The setting for rotation angles could be similar to that used for infill directions.

Return to “Feature Requests”