Falc.be

Conical supports

In order to save material. I would like to have to option to create support material with a small base, thas gets larger when getting closer to the surface it has to support
kabali16

Re: Conical supports

Falc.be wrote:In order to save material. I would like to have to option to create support material with a small base, thas gets larger when getting closer to the surface it has to support
How well does this work ? just curious
Kabali daww!!
Prusa i3 | Kossel
Simplify3D | Cura | Repetier Host | Octoprint
daduck748

I have never done it myself, but I have seen this type of "tree" support system. I've seen them online as well as some parts made by end-users who upload to Thingaverse.

The concept seems pretty sound. However, the TRUNK must be strong enough to support whatever is above. I suppose the trunk can be user-defined or by calculations, with consideration of mass (or amount of infill) directly above the trunk and branches. I can see this getting complex, especially on the programming side, though.

I've mostly had to generate seemingly, needlessly tall supports to support a small overhang, where if a small support branch can be stated from an arbitrary point and extends out there (at less than 45 degrees, of course), a print could be much more efficient.

This feature could save a lot of filament as well as print-time.
arhi

use meshmixer to create such support (it's what most of those thingiverse objects are using) and export as STL.
gcodestat integrates with Simplify3D and allow you to
Calculate print time accurately (acceleration, max speed, junction deviation all taken into consideration)
Embed M117 codes into G-Code
Upload your G-Code directly to Octoprint
open source and unlicence
GlenDavidMiller

Conical or even an Arch!

To create an Arch at the top 1/4 or 1/8th would make the supports stronger, give more support, and would probably save half of my filament that I feel like I waste on creating supports in the first place.

-Glen
3DEnthusiast

Throwing my vote in for Tree supports and other customizable options.
SHoutzager

Ditto on the tree supports vote. That would be my most important need right now. Makes a much smoother finish on prints. ;)
shocker828

arhi wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:13 am use meshmixer to create such support (it's what most of those thingiverse objects are using) and export as STL.
It sounds like the person wants do do that inside of s3d and not have to use a different interface. I also think s3d needs way more options in the supports department. Just being able to place block of support material is soooo nice but should stop there. In fact, the s3d people should really be looking at slic3r's capabilities for inspiration.
ketukil

I agree. Tree support is a great feature. Saves the support material, very good for small figurines. But it is no good for horizontal surfaces. If one could mix traditional S3D supports and tree structure, that would be an absolute WIN! :D

Return to “Feature Requests”