wirlybird

No Edge Support For Top Layers over Sparse Infill

After all of this time and untold number of requests and complaint and a new train wreck version 4.1 Simplify3D still has not address the elephant in the room.
The slicer still does not build an extrusion for the edges of solid layers to attach to especially when over a sparse infill.

Why this has not been fixed long ago is mind boggling since other slicers have seemed to be ably to handle it just fine.

There really is no excuse for this to still be an issue other than they simply do not care.

20181125_102109.jpg
Porcupineshiver

Re: No Edge Support For Top Layers over Sparse Infill

I've gotten around it by manually adding a few lines in the gcode to make a straight line from edge of part to other edge of part before the solid infill on the base layer. Pretty much every other software pulls it off fine, even the Afinia proprietary stuff from 6 years ago. On big prints it's simply not a viable option to bump up the infill a few layers early to where it would be supported, as it'll add way more print time, material, and time in the application to play with adding multiple processes. With translucent materials it also looks like you've made a mistake by adding extra infill a few layers before the solid infill. Concentric sort of works, but I don't care for the appearance at all and have to sand or file it flat.
wirlybird

I have found one workaround that isn't too bad and doesn't require multiple processes.
I use the print preview to determine the layer immediately below where the first solid layer starts and then I go to the infill section and use the add solid layer every X layers. On this one the solid layer started at layer 330 so I did an add solid layer every 110 layers so I got three solid layers added overall which was ok and it worked ok.
In other situations this may not be a great solution but can work. It would be nice to have additional control for solid infill layers.

Increasing infill % on this project was a no go.
The project is three large parts each using ~700g of filament and taking about 35 hours to print.
A 10% increase (5% to 15%) on the infill for only one of the parts ran the total up to ~1400g and about 80 hours print time. Not happening!!
amr_europe

I have the same issue, but with smaller parts. 5x5mm surface. material doesnt seem to matter. It just doesn't make a closed, solid surface.
Other slicers don't seem to have the same issue, but they're to limited to use.
Does someone have any tips that don't include modifying the gcode?

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”