mikecmp

Am I following the correct process

Hello,
I am checking to see if I am following the most optimized process for using S3D. It seems that for certain types of objects in factory files I do a lot of manual setup that I don't feel is correct. Either I am doing it wrong or I need to file a feature request.

I have been printing out planes and such from 3DLabPrint . These thin wall prints can only be slices using S3D so I bought it and have been able to print many things successfully, but it seems like I do a lot of manual work. Here is what I do.

I have a profile for my Prusa Mk3 printer. I load up the factory files of the objects that are provided, and write down the settings for perimeters, layer heights, and start / stop printing heights.

I then select my printer profile, which of course loads all my G-code, and scripts, but overwrites all of the printing settings (Why it does this is beyond me, not like the number of perimeters in an object should depend on my printing profile but whatever) i then manually re-enter the settings like layers, number of perimeters, etc.

Is there a more optimized path to printing factory file objects?

Thanks in advance,
Mike
S3D-Chris

Re: Am I following the correct process

Do they offer Factory files pre-configured for your printer? This would be the preferred workflow.
mikecmp

They offer factory files, but are not 100% configured for my printer. The problem is I only want to change things associated with my printer - like retraction speed, starting and ending scripts, and things like that, and leave all of the settings like number of top and bottom layers, perimeters, and things like that alone. Switching to my printer profile alters all of those settings which are specific to the object I am printing and not the printer itself.
horst.w

A factory-file contains more than a pure profile for the printer.

After import the factory-file of the distributer set all the changes you want to do. After this it is to recomment to store this as own factory with the changes an other time >>> menue FILES > Save As ... .

Now you do not need to call an other profil and I think it is not possible to mix the settings of a strange factory with any own profiles. But you can store the imported factory with its new changes also as an profil but an profile doesn't contain the STL you have bought.

Imported factory-files do overwrite all setting of your printer. So I can download here strange factories and open them on my S3D installation. That is the same when I would sit in front of your pc and printer. All settings and all dimensions are coming from the strange factory. To go back to my own settings and my own printers I must only open my stored own factory from what I have anytime the last version on my computer.

So it is for your problem. Import the factory you have bought. Set all different settings you wish to do. Export the STL of it to your computer. Also store once more the changed factory , not needed to work with instandly. Print this model.

Next time, new factory you have bought. Open this factory, export the new STL (2nd) to your computer. Change to the stored profile OR open the elder factory you have stored before. Remove the old STL (1st) it contains if you have stored it with your settings. Import the new STL (2nd) and so you will have all you wish. The new STL and your adjusted settings.

horst.w
GER

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”