blackbird2016

missing dense support when combining every 2nd layer

Printing the supports every layer everything is just fine.
1.PNG

Combining supports every 2nd layer the dense supports are missing.
2.PNG
Certainly, the supports then are just printed every 2nd layer and every other one is skipped and if being a dense support just missing.
And still, in my understanding the combining of support layers is for saving time where quality is of no concern.
But where there are certain layers (dense at bottom and top are determined) they should be printed,
no matter what settings for the raw support structure in between.
Just an idea of mine, I can handle that behaviour, if neccessary with multiple processes.
Not sure if this is only in 4.1.1 (which by the way now gives quite pretty prints )
but I rather believe this was already in the previous version.
horst.w

Re: missing dense support when combining every 2nd layer

The pitch of dense support itself is strong when printing just every layer.
The pitch of dense support printed "only" all 2nd layer must have a double ratio, so it will be mostly not possible to print it in this way. I guess!

horst.w
GER
blackbird2016

Bump...
blackbird2016 wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:50 am Where there are certain layers (dense at bottom and top are determined) they should be printed,
no matter what settings for the raw support structure in between.
S3D-Jake

Please attach your factory file. Our support team will look into this. Your factory file should include your model, and only the processes used for slicing the model. This will help us to determine if a bug has successfully been replicated and can be documented for fixing.

Thanks!
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."
blackbird2016

S3D-Jake wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:22 pm Please attach your factory file. Our support team will look into this. Your factory file should include your model, and only the processes used for slicing the model. This will help us to determine if a bug has successfully been replicated and can be documented for fixing.
Trying to upload my factory files I unfortunatelly get an error message the file being to big! (6mb)
No matter what, I would not even call this being a bug.
S3D makes exactly what is determined and printing only every second layer as set in the profile.
But doing so to save time with the "normal" support structure,
it would be helpful to ignore that setting for the dense supports
which are separately determined in layer density/quantity and seperation layers.
S3D-Jake

Thanks for trying at least. Can you send the factory file to our contact us page and mention it's for S3D-Jake? I'd love to be able to use your specific setup in testing for any changes to this functionality.
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."
ceondraka

BUMP - I just ran into this problem also and I think I figured out why it's happening. Printing an object with supports set and combine every (2). Also have dense supports at 2 layers. I think it's not printing when the dense supports fall in-between the combined support value and it cannot combine the (2) dense supports into one layer (combined) without violating the stay (1) layer away from the surface parameter. (I'm assuming here trying to test to find what causes this to be ignored). If I turn off combine every(2) the dense supports work fine just as noted above. Still testing but have turned off combine so I can print.
ceondraka

SOLUTION:
OK attached is my factory for this part and if you do the following you can see where the issue is and why its happening.

ASSUMPTION: Combine support layers applies to both regular and dense (it looks like it from the simulator)

ISSUE: Open the Factory file and review. With combine supports every layer set to 2 you will see the following:
Supports are filled in on the even layers with the last one completed on layer 36 and no dense supports are printed so the gap from the last support to the print is 4 layers. Print is on layer 41. So if you combine and leave the (1) gap it has to end by 39. Can't happen there is a conflict. I have dense set to 2 and if you subtract that from 39 you would have to start at 37 which is not where the next combine level would be (it's actually 38).

DISCOVERY: Change combine every layer to 1 and repeat
Supports are filled in on every layer with the last support at 37 and the first dense layer is at 38, second dense layer is 39 and layer 40 is the open gap and the print is on layer 41.

So you can deduce from the calculation the software is trying to do the next combined (2) layer at 38 when the dense is also supposed to start on that layer at the same time. Conflict with both trying to print, so neither is printed......

FIX: You can easily correct by adding/subtracting 1 from the support base layers to change the combine layer to offset it. This removes the conflict.
Attachments
OctoPi_Case_Fan_Cover.factory
Trial File
(310.69 KiB) Downloaded 158 times

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”