TheBum

Simplify3D on iOS

I'd love to see a version of Simply3D on iOS. With the processing power of recent model iPhones, it should be feasible. Right now, if I want to start a print while I'm out and about, I have to VNC into my laptop, run Simplify3D, and upload to my Octopi before I can initiate the print from my phone. If my laptop isn't plugged into power and is asleep, that workflow falls apart. It would be great to do all that on my phone without the VNC step.
Johnm

Re: Simplify3D on iOS

YES, second that! I have the 2gen iPad Pro 12.9”. I use UMake and Shaper3D apps. These are top quality 3D design apps. So the iPad can do it especially the newest iPad is even faster than my iPad. Right now I use an app file Browser to log into my Lenovo 2 in 1 running windows 10. Then I connect the Lenovo to my Monoprice Mini delta by USB. This works but it would be really nice just to be able to WiFi into the printer to upload the gcode file directly from my iPad. Skipingall the other steps. Right now in the windows Simplify3D version it does not have a WiFi option.
I think with File Browser you could remote in to an Octopi if you don’t mind using the Octopi’s Slicing software.

This option for an iPad app is really needed.

John
S3D-Jake

Thanks for all the great ideas and discussion. Our app has been optimized for Windows tablets and 2 in 1's for quite some time now. I'll log this as a feature request for our development team.
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."
Johnm

I just want to say again, first how much I love Simplify3D. I am going to buy the next version of the iPad Gen 4 of the 12.9” size. I would love love love an iPad version. I would even pay another $150.00 for the iPad version. That is how much I want an iPad version. You make it, I will buy it!
I have been using the iPadOS 13 Beta. This is a big update. Namely the iPad can now read and write any file to an SD card or memory stick. Many improvements that make it an even more powerful computing device. Now with the use of USB-C connector on the new iPads.
I use Shapr3D on my iPad Pro 12.9” 2nd gen and is a top notch professional app.
Right now I have to export/copy the stl file from Shapr3D over wifi to my lenovo notebook. To finish setting up in Simplify3D. This process is fairly straight forward but having Simplify3D on my iPad would be much simpler and a much more streamlined process.
I am testing the Beta version of Shapr3d. I would test the Beta version of Simplify3d if available.
Johnm

OK, Developers, with the Announcement of Apple created silicone on the MAC, is there any more incentive to design Simplify3D for the 2020 iPad Pro? Most apps on the iPad are supposed to work on the new MAC. As I said above I use Shapr3D on my 2020 iPad Pro. Great high level app. Now all I need in my workflow is to have a Slicer app that I can run on my iPad Pro. I don't want to have to use a PC or intel MAC just to run this one app. See how this kills my workflow.
frobozz

Johnm wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:59 pm OK, Developers, with the Announcement of Apple created silicone on the MAC, is there any more incentive to design Simplify3D for the 2020 iPad Pro? Most apps on the iPad are supposed to work on the new MAC. As I said above I use Shapr3D on my 2020 iPad Pro. Great high level app. Now all I need in my workflow is to have a Slicer app that I can run on my iPad Pro. I don't want to have to use a PC or intel MAC just to run this one app. See how this kills my workflow.
I have the exact same setup. I use Shapr3D on my iPad Pro 12.9", which is arguably the best solid modeler I have ever used. I would love to slice files both for FDM and Resin on my iPad. Have the devs given any thought to this, now that iPad and Mac will be converging onto on hardware and software platform? It's a GREAT question.
Andreasu

The last reaction of S3D-jake was 2018 to the request.

Answer yourself the question how serious they take the development of S3D....... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
S3D-Jake

Andreasu wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:05 am The last reaction of S3D-jake was 2018 to the request.

Answer yourself the question how serious they take the development of S3D....... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Thanks for calling me out! :mrgreen: The number of requests from unique users in this sub forum helps inform where our developers will be devoting their time spent on new features.

As for where this specific request stands, I count 4 unique user requests for this feature in 2 years. So while this is exciting and could be fairly groundbreaking, it would seem that there are many other requests with far more users asking for them to be integrated.

If you know of other users that use their iPad Pro for CAD work exclusively and would be interested in a Simplify3D version released for iOS you should have them add their interest to this topic. I track user feedback and relay it directly to our developers.
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."
deepfriedheroin

I'm purchasing an iPad Pro as a temporary replacement, until, probably, the second iteration of the ARM MacBook.

Software is, for sure, an issue—price, as well as availability. Even having to purchase multiple versions of software or re-buy something I've already purchased for another platform.

It's, definitely, frustrating.

My suggestion, for everyone who lands here, is to run S3D in a VM, and access it through your iPad.

I know that Mac VM's are harder to set up than Linux or Windows, but it's do-able, if you have to use a specific version.

I'd love an iOS version, but would prefer the devs to add more, and better, features to the current versions.

Also, and I'm not a dev, but I'm sure they, like everyone else, be working on ARM soon enough, due to upcoming architecture changes.
Johnm

I would normally agree with you. What I think you did not get out of my message is this.....
Apple in there developer keynote speech said that almost all iPados apps will run on the new Apple designed silicon for the Mac. So any new Mac that runs these chips will also be able to run iPad OS software. If you understand that which is A huge step Forward for Apple and the industry. Then can you now see a bigger incentive to design for the iPad/ new Mac. Soon all Macs will no longer have intel chips in them. They will all have Apple designed chips. In which case will be able to run iPad software.
Andreasu wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:05 am The last reaction of S3D-jake was 2018 to the request.

Return to “Feature Requests”