wirlybird

Re: BUG: 4.1 prints supports when told not to print them

The "clear all supports" button does exactly what it says it does. It clears all manually placed supports. If you have the "supports" option "checked" on the supports tab then auto support generation is going to happen.
tonyno

cybrsage has a point... LOL

edit to correct poster
Last edited by tonyno on Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dkightley

….which is why I posted how I work with supports a few posts back!!

Its a simple and reliable way to use supports....I've worked like this for a couple of years...or more!
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net
blackbird2016

cybrsage wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:24 pm Why do they have a "Clear All Supports" button if that button is not actually going to Clear All Supports? All it does is makes you THINK it cleared all the supports, but the slicer is actually going to add ALL the supports instead.

It is not "as it should work", it is a long standing bug then. They should remove the button or rename it "remove all supports from this window but not actually remove them for real so the model will still be printed with supports", which is what it really does.
That´s just bull....
this is all about the manual support window and all those buttons do exactly as intended and expected.
Placing supports, deleting some or all and whatever...

Once one will press the slice button one will get asked whether to turn on the support-generation in the print profile.
This confirmed the function will stay active until deactivated again.
What it does is that it checks whether there are already manual supports which will be used as priority.
If there are no manual ones the -still activated- supports function will use the settings in the profile.

I see it a different way.
S3D spares me the effort to go into tthe profile and checking the enable support checkbox by doing that "automatically"
once I determined custom supports.
Certainly, S3D maybe could switch of the supports when clearing all supports in the MANUAL supports window
the same way as enabling the generation.
But why should one want this to happen?
My Model either needs supports or it does not.
When I open the manual supports window my model needs supports, I then play around with different settings
and see my supports clearly at the build plate. Once I think they are properly placed and I let S3D do the slicing
there comes the question whether to enable the supports generation.
And why would I want to turn that off again?

Sure, I delete my setting after that.
I have a template (ready configured) process which I clone for each new part, doing the specific settings there.

Maybe this is more about the way how the profiles/settings are used differently by users....
cybrsage

blackbird2016 wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:18 am
cybrsage wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:24 pm Why do they have a "Clear All Supports" button if that button is not actually going to Clear All Supports? All it does is makes you THINK it cleared all the supports, but the slicer is actually going to add ALL the supports instead.

It is not "as it should work", it is a long standing bug then. They should remove the button or rename it "remove all supports from this window but not actually remove them for real so the model will still be printed with supports", which is what it really does.
That´s just bull....
Not bull at all. Easily support manipulation is the only thing keeping S3D ahead of the free slicers. Making it hard on people on purpose makes it harder to justify paying money for S3D.

I manually enable supports in the profile. I go to the manual support addition and removal tool and add in all the supports automatically. I click the button to clear them all from one model and then I click another button to only remove a handful from the second model. The ones I remove individually from the second model stay removed but the ones I remove in one fell swoop with the handy remove all button are only removed from the screen, they are still going to be sliced and printed.

Since the button to remove only ONE support makes it so the one support is not printed, the button that removes all the supports should make it so all the supports are not printed.

They should just rename it to "Hide all supports from view", since that is the only thing it does. It does not remove supports, it does not clear supports, it does nothing to the supports but hide them from view.
dragonn

cybrsage wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:30 pm
They should just rename it to "Hide all supports from view", since that is the only thing it does. It does not remove supports, it does not clear supports, it does nothing to the supports but hide them from view.
Nooo, it doesn't do that at all. If add manual supports, then remove them with "Clear all supports" then you get different supports because they will by automatic. The button could be renamed to "Clear all manual supports" but "Hide all supports from view" would be complete wrong.
blackbird2016

cybrsage wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:30 pm They should just rename it to "Hide all supports from view", since that is the only thing it does. It does not remove supports, it does not clear supports, it does nothing to the supports but hide them from view.
I think, I will not follow this furthermore.
What you don´t want to comprehend is, that that button does NOT hide the supports, it just clears the manual supports.
As long as the supports generation in the profile is enabled it will print automatic generated supports for there are no manual ones defined.
The automatic ones certainly will be similar to the ones in the custom supports when you click the "automatic" button.
Playing along with the manual supports window and disabling supports generation in the print profile are just entirely different things.
Over and out.
cybrsage

blackbird2016 wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:06 am
cybrsage wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:30 pm They should just rename it to "Hide all supports from view", since that is the only thing it does. It does not remove supports, it does not clear supports, it does nothing to the supports but hide them from view.
I think, I will not follow this furthermore.
Why did you feel the need to tell us all that?
cybrsage

dragonn wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:57 am
cybrsage wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:30 pm
Nooo, it doesn't do that at all. If add manual supports, then remove them with "Clear all supports" then you get different supports because they will by automatic. The button could be renamed to "Clear all manual supports" but "Hide all supports from view" would be complete wrong.
Very true, how about "Clear all user generated supports and return to using the automatic ones"?
TheBum

I just updated to 4.1.2 and this issue still exists. I removed the automatic supports from fours holes. They don't show up in Preview mode, but they're in the generated G-code. I've attached the factory file I'm seeing this with. The part having this issue is the shorter one.
Attachments
Case.factory
(451.47 KiB) Downloaded 142 times

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”