arhi

[FIXED] repeatable crash (factory included)

4.0.1 - works
4.1.0 - crash (when you click to generate g-code)
4.1.1 - crash (when you click to generate g-code)

load factory file, click "prepare to print", select all processes, continuous print, ok -> crash

with this as "last loaded" open 4.0.1, works, close 4.0.1, load 4.1.0 it will crash, load 4.1.1 it will crash ..
Attachments
crash.factory
(621.55 KiB) Downloaded 167 times
gcodestat integrates with Simplify3D and allow you to
Calculate print time accurately (acceleration, max speed, junction deviation all taken into consideration)
Embed M117 codes into G-Code
Upload your G-Code directly to Octoprint
open source and unlicence
wirlybird

Re: repeatable crash (factory included)

Haven't tried your factory but I am getting a lot of crashes with 4.1.1 also, uninstalled 4.1.

Doesn't seem to matter what the model is but when you press prepare to print S3D just vanishes, no warning, no error just instantly closes.

Same exact models and settings in 4.0.1 and everything is fine - no problems.
dkightley

Here's an important finding.....

v4.1.1 crashes as is......but scale the inner model to anything other than exactly 100%...and it slices okay!

Change the scaling back to 100%....and BANG! It crashes again....

EDIT.....similar results if you change rotation on the Z axis!

EDIT AGAIN......I like making inspirational guesses - max number of duplicate xyz coordinates being exceeded?
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net
S3D-Jake

Thanks for the report guys! In this scenario where models overlap, you should probably uncheck "Avoid Crossing Outlines For Travel Movements". We were able to reproduce the crash in our office with this scenario and turning off avoid crossing outlines allows the file to slice correctly.
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."
wirlybird

Sounds good but not the case on mine. It is a single file. I'll try to get it reproducible but haven't had time yet.
arhi

@dkightley good find, was in hurry so didn't have time to mess with it too much, but that works, looks like overlap + Crossing Outlines crashes is as devs say

@jake good, thx for the workaround, hopefully 4.1.2 will solve it fast, I guess with repeatable test case that you do understand you can fix the problem quickly

@wirlybird I experienced few crashes only but note that my previous experience with s3d is telling me that when s3d crash s3d tend to corrupt profiles. when you have one corrupted profile s3d will tend to crash "a lot" corrupting more profiles in the process. the only way out of the problem is cleaning all s3d settings and making all profiles manually from scratch.. @jake, maybe for 5.0 you guy's consider switching to .ini files for profiles and staying away from registry for that type of data storage?!
gcodestat integrates with Simplify3D and allow you to
Calculate print time accurately (acceleration, max speed, junction deviation all taken into consideration)
Embed M117 codes into G-Code
Upload your G-Code directly to Octoprint
open source and unlicence
thurstonc

Running Simplify 3D 4.1.1 and frequently it crashes as soon as I press "Prepare to Print" :shock: . In this respect it is less reliable than earlier versions I have used. Workaround is to make sure to save the factory file (Ctrl + S) immediately prior to pressing "Prepare to Print".

Last time this happened, I had two models (not particularly complex), both with supports in use and using two Processes (for both models) to print at 50% infill to height of 18.38mm, then 100% infill after that. After the crash, restarting Simplify 3D loads an older version of the particular profile I was using (or at least an older model is appearing) so I always open the original factory file, redo what was lost before the crash, make sure to save the profile, then continue on as normal.
Daniel

i am searching for a way to repeat preview 4.1.1 crash
your model with multiple process always crash but if you remove one process and select the 2 model in the leaving process it didnt crash anymore
the same if you preview it a lot in a row no more crash

i do the same with small "Underbody" and "sharkz" model
2 identical process with different height start-stop setting for the "Underbody" and
5 identical process with different height start-stop setting for the "sharkz" made them crash after 1 or more preview without changing setting
the same models with the same single process works very well

the "fen2gaz66" model always crash after 1 or 5 preview
so if you like multiprocess work in 4.1.1 version you are randomly crashing

it looks like multiple process give some trouble
Daniel

sorry for the factory files
its my first time and didnt see the "place inline" button
Underbody_Closeout droit1.factory
(548.18 KiB) Downloaded 198 times
fen2gaz 66crash.factory
(1.9 MiB) Downloaded 200 times
sharkzcrash.factory
(79.1 KiB) Downloaded 188 times
S3D-Chris

I’m happy to share that this issue was resolved in the latest 4.1.2 release! Our team successfully tested several different factory files including the one you provided to ensure that the software wasn't crashing. This was just one of many improvements to the software. All of which are detailed on our Release Notes page.

Thank you for your help reporting this issue!

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”