inventabuild

Re: Best Glue for PETG & PLA

True, but I think to use it as a part-to-bed bonding agent they must add some other ingredients which could possibly be as simple as adding a little plastic of the same type to be printed into the dichloromethane (paint stripper) and maybe some enhancements to make it unique or give it mystique..

Only a few years ago, before all the newfangled print surfaces (PEI, Printbite, etc) I used to use an acetone + abs slurry to keep my abs prints down on my Kapton print surface.

Back then I had also read I could make a PLA dichloromethane slurry, but that dichloromethane is more toxic than acetone so I never dabbled in it.

Here's an article that discusses acetone and dichloromethane toxicity at a layman's level: http://publichealth.uic.edu/sites/defau ... azards.txt
arhi

inventabuild wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:21 am True, but I think to use it as a part-to-bed bonding agent they must add some other ingredients which could possibly be as simple as adding a little plastic
does not have to be "same type" .. most of the print plastic sticks pretty well to PVA and PVA solutions are easily available and easily applied (glue, hair spray..) and PVA is easy to remove later on as it dissolves in water ..
gcodestat integrates with Simplify3D and allow you to
Calculate print time accurately (acceleration, max speed, junction deviation all taken into consideration)
Embed M117 codes into G-Code
Upload your G-Code directly to Octoprint
open source and unlicence
inventabuild

arhi wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:02 pm
inventabuild wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:21 am True, but I think to use it as a part-to-bed bonding agent they must add some other ingredients which could possibly be as simple as adding a little plastic
does not have to be "same type" .. most of the print plastic sticks pretty well to PVA and PVA solutions are easily available and easily applied (glue, hair spray..) and PVA is easy to remove later on as it dissolves in water ..
Who said it "have to be same type" of plastic? Where did you get those words from?

I said it "could possibly be" be the same type of plastic dissolved in 3DGloop that it's designed to print with and bond.

Furthermore, with 3DGloop advertising two separate bonding agents, one for abs and one for pla, it makes more sense that they have different bonding ingredients dissolved in the solvent (one abs, the other pla) instead of being the same (for example both pva as you suggested).

In addition why would they have a water soluble bonding ingredient pva if they advertise it for bonding parts together, but don't caution against keeping the bond away from moisture.

Plus, the YouTube video on my link shows the 3DGloop bond line being stronger than the part itself. I have never seen a water soluble pva glue perform like that on abs and pla, but I'm not saying it couldn't happen depending on how the part is designed and the version of pva that's used.

It's possible some pva is added to 3DGloop for a specific reason, but more likely the plastic it's designed to bond is added to facilitate bonding along with some other ingredients to give it additional properties, one of which may be pva.
arhi

I think you are missing the point :(

"part-to-bed bonding" makes a lot of sense to be PVA or anything else that's easily broken on demand and does not make sense at all to be "same type plastic" as you wrote ... the full quote of your line is
True, but I think to use it as a part-to-bed bonding agent they must add some other ingredients which could possibly be as simple as adding a little plastic of the same type to be printed into the dichloromethane (paint stripper) and maybe some enhancements to make it unique or give it mystique..
both "part to bed" and "same type" words are there...

of course you would not expect PVA or something like that in PART-to-PART glue ... not to mention one need to be special kind of daredevil to put dichloromethane on a print bed and heat it up :( due to dichloromethane being nasty chemical... dunno what's inside 3DGLOOP but importing it here is impossible so it's not of any concern of mine as I'm not going to be using it for sure.. I am in the process of getting a kg of dichloromethane (I think I finally found a place where I don't have to by 200L of the stuff) and do not plan for that stuff to ever leave the garage as it's nasty nasty nasty .. but if it works as chemical welder for PETG and PLA it's cool.. will work in garage .. using it for bed adhesion, not sure what's the point, PLA and PETG stick to bed way too good if you have a decent bed (e.g. printbite surface they stick perfectly, and they free them selves right away as soon as bed is cold) so no bonding agent is required...

quote from http://publichealth.uic.edu/sites/defau ... azards.txt
Methylene chloride (dichloromethane) is highly volatile and high concentrations may cause narcosis, lung irritation, pulmonary edema, and is a probable human carcinogen. Methylene chloride also decomposes in the body to form carbon monoxide and inhalation of large amounts has resulted in fatal heart attacks. People with heart problems and smokers are particularly at high risk. Although most of the chlorinated hydrocarbons are not flammable, they may decompose in the presence of ultraviolet light or excess heat (e.g., a lit cigarette) to form the poison gas phosgene. In general try to replace chlorinated hydrocarbons with less toxic solvents. Uses: wax, oil, resin, grease and plastics solvent, paint strippers.
the other interesting thing would be to completely dissolve PLA (e.g. if using PLA as cheaper support in combo with ABS or HIPS for e.g.) ... HIPS dissolves good in limonene but stuff is expensive :( .. so looking for cheaper alternative, dissolving pla in dichloromethane works as ppl say but it's expensive (200L or 258kg barrel locally is 1eur per 1kg so 258eur for a 200L barrel + taxes ... the stores selling smaller "packages" ask ~20eur per 1L) ... so figuring out cheaper way of dissolving PLA was always something I was interested in but without much success :( ... I tried among first things to dissolve it with NaOH and got zero success but recently I got the info that if you heat NaOH to 70C it will convert PLA into soap making it super easy to remove as support ... is not worth as a chemical welding but for removing PLA it might be useful ... I plan to try in near future but heated NaOH is not nice on your lungs neither so need to get some heating elements for my garage to be able to test it..
gcodestat integrates with Simplify3D and allow you to
Calculate print time accurately (acceleration, max speed, junction deviation all taken into consideration)
Embed M117 codes into G-Code
Upload your G-Code directly to Octoprint
open source and unlicence
RHammers

I know this is a little late but I just joined the forum. The best adhesive I have found for PETG is Scigrip 16. I got it at Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003H ... UTF8&psc=1

Runny, can be messy, but it welds the parts together. I have not tried it on PLA. it contains:

Dichloromethane, Methyl Acetate, Methyl Ethyl Ketone, Methyl Methacrylate Monomer

not very happy chemicals. YMMV.
MrFilament

Tetrahydrofuran dissolves PETG and evaporates quickly. But it is hard to find and have to be used outside because of toxic fumes.
TheBum

MrFilament wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:37 pm Tetrahydrofuran dissolves PETG and evaporates quickly. But it is hard to find and have to be used outside because of toxic fumes.
I've tried some solvent solutions on PETG with limited success. I have not tried Gorilla Glue, which I think would work. It would expand into the inter-layer spaces.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”