I recently updated my Dremel 3D20 to firmware 20180611 and discovered that all my files saved from Simplify3D on the SD card shows as double on the printer display. According to Dremel it only uses g3drem extension. Is it possible to have Simplify3D only save as *.g3drem only and not with *.gcode also?
Simplify3D will save both files. There is not a way around this. If you wish to only have g3drem files on your SD card, you can save the toolpaths to your computer and then move/copy only the g3drem file to the SD card.
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."
In your Process , Script tab, under "Additional terminal commands for post processing"
add the line
{EXTENSION "g3drem"}
also set the export file format to Standard G-Code
I have mine set to {EXTENSION "g"} to shorten the file name. What I don't know is if setting the export format to Dremel has a slightly different format?
Again poor documentation by S3D
Reading the firmware update file states it can read "support for .g and .gcode sliced files"
maybe it does not need the dremel format anymore?
I have tried your method. While it seems good to just save as one file it didn't work for me. With the extension code to g3drem it just made the printer hang, as with g too. Trying to load gcode gave the same result, need to restart the printer. Also tried save normal to get both g3drem and gcode file. The g3drem works as normal but not the gcode file. The Dremel ideabuilder 3d20 is an old printer. With the new fw I'll have to accept that I need to delete gcode manually. Simplify3d is a good software that both makes beautiful prints and save plastic for my old Dremel 3d20. Thanks for all the suggestions so far but I'm still open for more script codes if it can make me save some mouse clicks.
I think the reason for S3D creating two files is missing in the explanation as to why two files are created. The gcode file is created by the slicer...and saved. Then a conversion utility is run to generate the g3drem file.
I've had the same for my MakerBot ever since I've been using S3d...and its only been an issue on very few occasions.
Perhaps a minor enhancement to the software might be for some form of flag-controlled auto deletion of the gcode file.....but that would rob users of the benefits of having the gcode file....checking bits of gcode, viewing settings info, just to name two.