jeand

Re: vase mode

blackbird2016 wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:24 pm ...
jeand wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:00 pm I've checked the integrity of stl in Netfabb, no bug in it.
Everyone will draw the conclusion he wants.
Mine is clear.
My conclusion is, after running that very model through the Netfabb online repair service
it prints quite well with the above mentioned settings in 4.4.1

And still, the bug is rather in the model, not in the slicer.
Netfabb does not detect any "bug" in the stl file.

S3D slices badly this model except you set the start point manually.

Do you really think that all bugs inside 4.1 are fixed in 4.1.1 ? Me not, and for this reason, I stop use S3D for a while.
s3030150

No point arguing man. We are n00bs, they are the experts. That the Support Team admitted this is not expected behaviour and the problem is not the model is a fact but they are the experts. Let them live in the bubble, we know where the problem is :-)
----------------------------------------------------------
bottomline: stupid enough to buy this
blackbird2016

I take it that this is (just to be sure) the vase # 9 of all those vases provided in the above given download link.
Checking the mesh wit FreeCad it shows that that mesh has lots of defects.
See picture # 1
1.PNG
Depending on extrusion widths (with 0,4mm it does not happen at all) I could reproduce the failure with
the original downloaded file.
See picture # 2
2.PNG
Running it through Netfab online repair I got no error-report but can not remember having gotten one any time.
Downloaded the Netfabb-processed one and sliced it with exactly the same settings.

Voila! See picture # 3
3.PNG
I would like to see the answer from S3D service where they presumably admit this being a bug.
No question, they can do someting about it, say letting the software handle minor mesh defects differently, which is a good thing.
Considering that, say 90% of all things on thingiverse are buggy or rather not suitable for 3d-printing at all.
s3030150

They did not say it’s a bug, who told you this?
blackbird2016

s3030150 wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:11 pm They did not say it’s a bug, who told you this?
See two posts above...
s3030150 wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:16 pm That the Support Team admitted this is not expected behaviour and the problem is not the model is a fact ...
That is what this is all about. If it is not the model, it must be the slicer. What else?

S3D has its flaws, no question. But I feel it is unfair to blame them for all those faulty models out there.
Lets leave it at that. If they can do something, tweaking how they handle mesh defects this will be a help for a lot of users.
s3030150

I didn't say this is a bug, only that it looks like a bug. I would not dare to blame S3D publicly when I'm not 100% confident that I have paid my dues already. This is up to the vendor to say this word, not me.

Look, I thought this forum is about "Troubleshooting and Bug Reports" (see the name somewhere?). I have put the model here, I said everything I thought was necessary (and presumably it was enough since nobody asked for any more details). The reason I opened this topic is to inform S3D developers something wrong might be going on with 4.1.1.

What did I get? Troubleshooting? No, few clever clogs individuals mumbling about S3D being perfect and blaming the model (which, I repeat myself, every other slicer has no problem with, even earlier versions of Simplify3D) without ANY analysis or proof. Maybe you now think of responding you are not here to analyse anything - well, then better be quiet and leave the space to people who are willing to help, because what you said in your first two posts does not have any added value to this topic. Plus, 4.1.1 release notes say about improved vase mode algorithms, so I thought this place is a good start to say something is wrong with 4.1.1. Still no bug word

you as an example wrote few comments to this thread and it took you 3 attempts to be finally able to produce some sense in your comment. You could spare this forum the first two comments and go straight to the 3rd you posted, because only that one makes sense.

Anyway, I have sorted this one out with S3D support, they know about this, I have rolled back to 4.0.1, which for whatever reason works fine even with my buggy model. I consider this topic resolved
Last edited by s3030150 on Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
s3030150

blackbird2016 wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:22 pm That is what this is all about. If it is not the model, it must be the slicer. What else?

S3D has its flaws, no question. But I feel it is unfair to blame them for all those faulty models out there.
Lets leave it at that. If they can do something, tweaking how they handle mesh defects this will be a help for a lot of users.
4.1.1 was a possible suspect, not the culprit, no blaming. I have paid for the software and I expect some value for my money, that's it. I got a response from S3D, that's my value.
vladcronos

s3030150 wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:04 am what a great support forum.

yeah of course, Slic3r, Cura, all Simplify3D versions except 4.1.1 are wrong. Even Mesh Mixer is wrong. This model has been checked with multiple mesh fixing apps and slicers, none of them have found any problem except S3D version 4.1.1. Version 4.0.1 is fine

Feel free to play with your crystal balls, enjoy :mrgreen: or consider proving your BS you are tying to tell. for me it's a bug of current version of S3D and I rolled back

no offense, but what you are trying to tell is ridiculous.
How did you roll back? My old EXE file also opens this lated heavily bugged version! :( I want to roll back too
svankirk

This is indeed a bug in vase mode. I get it all the time in Simplify 4.1.1. I have found that playing with the start point will often cause it to go away, but sometimes nothing I do will fix it. Here is an example:

with the start point at 200,300, I get:
vase bug 1.PNG
with the start point at 100,100 I get this in a completely different place:
vase bug 1.PNG
and with random start point selected, I get this:
vase bug 1.PNG
This stl file is perfect. In non-vase mode, it slices correctly. I've run it though different checkers with no problem. No doubt it is a bug in Simplify3d 4.1.1
Attachments
vase bug 3.PNG
vase bug 2.PNG

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”