mntbighker

Slicing issue.

I don't have any specifics nailed down. But several times with Mac 4.1.1 I have sliced a file and when I printed it none of the starting script happened. In fact the printer just chewed on the file but it never printed and no errors were reported. The heaters never activated either. If I quit and re-start S3D and re-slice it prints normally. I can imagine someone using this for a business would be driven nutz by this situation. I'm not even confident it's slicing right now even when it seems to work.
Scratch built CoreXY with Duet Maestro
Heavily modified Ender 3 with Duet Maestro
MPCNC work in progress with Duet WiFi
SusiT140V

Re: Slicing issue.

Hi mntbighker,

I don't know if this is the same thing, but check the size of the file on the SDCard if you are slicing to the HDD than copying to an SDCard.
I have had an issue when doing this sometimes.

Simplify3D says it has finished slicing and so I immediately copy the file to the SDCard.
In my case, the little Intel NUC that I now slice on was still in the process of grinding through the slicing, and so I was copying an incomplete/empty file to the SDCard.
My fault, not Simplify3D. :)

I don't usually get caught by this as I am aware the little NUC struggles - just now and again when slicing really large complex objects and I'm not paying attention. :D

If it is the same issue, the file sizes will be different between the card and the HDD.

I hope this is the solution for you.
Best Wishes,
Susi
mntbighker

This happened again this morning. I went to print the file and the printer "processed" the file without ever doing anything. I quit S3D, re-sliced, and the file printed normally. I had previously loaded and sliced 6 nearly identical models in sequence using the same factory file. The last one had the issue until I quit/reloaded and sliced. Something seems to be going wrong in S3D that only quitting will resolve.
S3D-Jake

I'd love to get a repeatable sequence of steps that I can use to reproduce this error in our office for our development team to dig into. Is this still happening for you? Can you document more of the steps or changes involved to make it happen?
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."
mntbighker

Next time it happens I'll see what I can do.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”