clarion

Temperature won't go back up during printing pause

Hi,

I am using S3D ver. 4.1.1., and have been printing this part for the last 2 days almost. Had to pause to change the filament, and I lowered the extruder temperature from 200 to 100. Now that I changed it, the extruder temperature won't go back up. I have attached a couple pictures. Has anybody encountered this problem? Thank you kindly.
S3D-Jake

Re: Temperature won't go back up during printing pause

Can you attach your communication log? The only reason I can think of for the printer not responding would be that it's still trying to reach 100º C so it's buffering any other commands sent it's way.
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."
clarion

Hi Jake,

Not sure how to attach the communications log. Probably the best I can do is to attach a text file with a copy paste of whatever I can find in the comm tab. Please see it attached.
To explain a bit further, the machine has been on pause since last Saturday morning, and since then, the extruder temperature has been room temperature. What puzzles me is that, during pause, although I pressed the extruder temperature 'set' button, when checking in the communications, I would always get a line saying "T:20.6 /0.0" which tells me somehow S3D didn't even notice the request to 200C, otherwise it would have read, as it normally does, T:20.6 /200.00. If you look through the attached file, you will notice no such thing. Last but not least, thank you kindly for your reply.
Attachments
comm log.txt
(25.54 KiB) Downloaded 98 times
S3D-Jake

the command being sent when you set the temperature is M104. I can see 3 instances of M104 being used in the log you attached. Setpoints given where in this order 201, 0, and 200. Each command was responded to with "!!" from the firmware. I don't know which firmware you're using, but this seems like it would be a response indicating that there is an error with accepting the heating commands.

Does your printer have an LCD where you can try setting the temperature?

Will it heat when using those controls?
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."
clarion

Hi Jake,

I don't have an LCD screen, it's all done via usb from the computer.
However, what troubles me is that the syntax T:20.6 /0.00 stayed so even after I issued the command to raise it up to 200. In a normal world, this would have read T:20.6 /200.0, confirming the system accepted the request to go to 200. Could you tell me why is that please? Thank you kindly.
S3D-Jake

The 200 degree setting you sent to the printer, wasn't accepted. The log indicates that the printer responded "!!" rather than the normal "ok". Again, I'm not sure why it'd be denying these commands other than something for safety has been triggered and thus the printer likely needs reset to re-detect if a dangerous state is detected again.

There is a manual g-code entry box near the bottom of the Communication log tab. If you restart your printer, connect and manually send "M104 S200 T0" does that work for you? if not, what about "M104 S200" (without the T0 on the end)?
clarion

Hi Jake,

While the printer was on pause, I tried the manual gcode command M104 with and without T0, same result. Re-starting the printer would not have been an option after 2 1/2 days of printing, but I cancelled the print, restarted the machine and voila, temperature worked just fine.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”