soa

simulating dual extrusion

I would like to print parts with "inlaid" features (another color or conductive filament). To do so, I would like to produce an STL with two bodies and have the slicer a) use different extruder profiles for each body and b) pause between bodies (in each layer) to allow changing filament. Is this possible?
KeyboardWarrior

Re: simulating dual extrusion

soa wrote:I would like to print parts with "inlaid" features (another color or conductive filament). To do so, I would like to produce an STL with two bodies and have the slicer a) use different extruder profiles for each body and b) pause between bodies (in each layer) to allow changing filament. Is this possible?
A)The easiest way to do this, would be to model two separate STL's, and then align them in the software, either by holding Shift+ clicking auto arrange or using the numerical methods by clicking on the parts. With two separate models, you just have two processes and use the Select Models button on the process settings so that each process is connected to the corresponding STL. This is pretty much the exact same as a dual extrusion print if you were doing two colors, they have a tutorial on this, you're just using the same nozzle which makes it even easier.

B) If you're printing with USB and using a Reprap/marlin machine, you can add in M0's to your G-code with a text editor and then run the print and it will stop at the M0 and give you a prompt, "press resume when you want to continue the print", then you can use the jogging panel and change out filament and press resume when you want to start the print again. I've done this for multi-colored prints on a single extruder machine.
soa

Thanks, KW! I'm using a MB Replicator 2. Is there a way to get a similar pause feature between models / processes?
laird

If you are using the Sailfish software, there is a pause at Z height command. This lets you print to a given right, then the printer pauses so that you can switch filament and continue the print. Sailfish is available at http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:32084 .

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”