Menissalt

Sequential Printing no longer works 4.1.1

I'm trying to print a bed full of parts using sequential printing with a known working max clearance height but S3D seems to be ignoring this and is slicing layer-by-layer. Based on another thread this was an intentional feature of 4.1?

The only way I can get sequential printing to work is by having fewer parts and spacing them out. This has removed a vital function from S3D. Until it's fixed or there's a way to disable this is there a way to downgrade to 4.0?
The feature added in Version 4.1 will automatically adjust the printing mode to avoid collisions between your parts. This happens automatically, so there are no additional settings you need to adjust to enable the behavior. As you noted, this allows you to easily transition back and forth between sequential printing and layer-by-layer printing based on the models that you have on the build platform, and how they interact with one another. In prior versions, this was one of the biggest sources of accidental collisions that we had seen from our users, so it was an important improvement for the software.
horst.w

Re: Sequential Printing no longer works 4.1.1

Do you have created separate processes for each object?
At the moment I have running a print with 4 parts and an other is waiting with 3 parts. There are no problems!

horst.w
GER
Sequential.png
(Remark: the processes 1, 3 , 5 and 2, 4, 6 are identical; while 1,3,5 print the bottoms up to 0,6 mm I have a change of Layer Height with the following processes 2, 4. 6)
dkightley

I've recently done three prints using v4.1.1 that were using sequential printing....and all completed successfully.

I've just loaded one...eight box shaped pieces about 1cm high,,,and checked the simulation using v4.0.1 and v4.1.1, and both looked as if they were breaking after the set height (2.0 mm) and moving on to the next piece. In fact doing exactly what I would expect them to!..and exactly the same thing!!!!!

My conclusion is that sequential printing is working in v4.1.1 as expected.

I think to resolve the issues raised in this and the mentioned thread there needs to be two things..

1) Example factory files showing where sequential printing is not working.

and

2) A detailed illustrated explanation from S3D as to exactly what the before and after upgrade sequential printing did....so that the users can understand better what the changes are.
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net
Menissalt

I've attached an example. I've completed this print in prior versions but in the current version it only prints layer-by-layer even though I've set in to print sequentially every 2mm.
Attachments
example.jpg
Menissalt

To further clarify, printing sequentially like this works just fine. However printing parts close together and trying to utilize more of the bed at once forces layer-by-layer.
Attachments
Capture.PNG
dkightley

Now we've got somewhere on this!!

Sequential printing DOES work....and it may or may not have been changed by an upgrade. What stops it working is the proximity of one part to one of it's neighbours. Have a part too close and the two parts are printed as if they are one.

Sound familiar???

Yes! It's the same thing a brim being printed round a part when the settings say no brim.....but the two parts are too close together.

QUESTION FOR THE S3D DEVS. In both of these cases, what determines the spacing, and what IS the spacing that needs to be exceeded for interference NOT to happen?
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net
Raise3D Pro Plus 2

Spacing - probably printing head size - by chosen model.
jmone

I ran into the same issue aver the last couple of weeks where I was testing printing a colour pattern into a mould of the same shape (so they infact touch). Found that for sequential print to work in 4.1.1 there had to be a few mm apart unfortunately.

In may case I just wanted to print 2 layers sequentially to get better colour infill. 2 layers should be fine even for items that touch.

It would be nice if the gap for "sequential printing" between parts could either be user defined or turned off.
Prusa MK3

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”