Zstack

Top Layer w/ "engraving" question

Hello!

Hoping someone can provide some insight into an "issue" I am having with how I am currently slicing one of the projects I am working on. It's not as issue with the software (as it's doing exactly what I am telling it to do) but more with I don't know how to tell it to do what I want.
top layer.PNG
I'm trying to print an object that as an "engraving" on the top layer. It's a .4mm (layer height of .2mm) tracing of text from the top down of the object. The issue occurs where I tell the slicer to have 3 top layers, and since the text is technically missing at the very two top layers, it makes up for it by placing filler below the rest of my layers.
underside.PNG
As you may think this causes some problems as there is really no support for the majority of that infill and the nozzle just lays material in and has the tendency to glob up and ruin the quality of my top layers.

The question being, is there a way to prevent this? Is it possible to limit the top layers to somewhere above a certain height or something? This may be a common question but I can't seem to find anything discussing this with a quick google search.

Thank you in advance!
Ayres3D

Re: Top Layer w/ "engraving" question

If I've understood you correctly then there are a number of possible options. One simple one would be to use the Variable Settings Wizard and create a change of process a few layers below the top to increase the density of the infill below the top layers - or simply increase the number of top layers.

Does that help?
wirlybird

One thing I do in cases like this is to use the add solid layer at X height on the infill tab.
Set the layer height to the layer immediately below the first layer for the text. Not the ideal solution but it works and is pretty simple.
Zstack

One thing I do in cases like this is to use the add solid layer at X height on the infill tab.
Set the layer height to the layer immediately below the first layer for the text. Not the ideal solution but it works and is pretty simple.

That worked great! Thanks for the advice!
wirlybird

Glad to hear! Not the ideal solution and you might end up with a solid layer somewhere else but it is pretty simple and functional.
Lissandragaren3

Somewhere show me that we should use https://www.manticonvert.com/ to do this (XD)

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”