Rewire

Ability to set where new layer starts.

I quite like how it looks when I can see kind of a seam where the layers over lap and start. I would love to be able to set where the layer starts so there can be a seam going up specifically where I want it, more for prints that need to be water tight, so I can do a single line of silicone.
S3D-Jake

Re: Ability to set where new layer starts.

This is an existing feature. In the layer tab set the start point option "Choose start point closest to specific location" then specify the X Y coordinates.
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."
armsofilum

@S3D-Jake

Related to Rewire's request, do you have any thoughts on using relative x and y coordinates per model as mentioned in the thread linked below?

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=5131&sid=789ce334b ... b7e88e022e
wirlybird

S3D-Jake wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:47 pm This is an existing feature. In the layer tab set the start point option "Choose start point closest to specific location" then specify the X Y coordinates.
I have never been able to get this to work correctly. For instance if I want the seam at the back of a print, on the Y axis and perpendicular to the X I can set the coordinates but it doesn't place it there.

A detailed tutorial with a part and some basic examples including coordinates would be great.

Let's say one example could be to have a cube and place the seam on the back side in-between the left and right rear corners/edges.
Rewire

I also want to point out that using the feature in this way creates irregular, inconsistent start lines on the print, which for some prints is completely useless or somewhat obtrusive.

As an example, I have attached an image showing what I'm thinking of.

I'd like it to work more like the tool where we can add supports. (Which, as I'm mentioning, needs an option to delete a single support instead of just clear all or nothing).

I'm not saying the current implementation isn't good, it's just not great because the control is limited.
Print Example.png
wirlybird

Rewire wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:18 am I also want to point out that using the feature in this way creates irregular, inconsistent start lines on the print, which for some prints is completely useless or somewhat obtrusive.

As an example, I have attached an image showing what I'm thinking of.

I'd like it to work more like the tool where we can add supports. (Which, as I'm mentioning, needs an option to delete a single support instead of just clear all or nothing).

I'm not saying the current implementation isn't good, it's just not great because the control is limited.

Print Example.png
On the supports you can delete supports you want by selecting the remove support button and then clicking on the individual supports you want to remove.
S3D-Jake

armsofilum wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:27 pm @S3D-Jake

Related to Rewire's request, do you have any thoughts on using relative x and y coordinates per model as mentioned in the thread linked below?

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=5131&sid=789ce334b ... b7e88e022e
I've replied in that thread. :)
wirlybird wrote:
S3D-Jake wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:47 pm This is an existing feature. In the layer tab set the start point option "Choose start point closest to specific location" then specify the X Y coordinates.
I have never been able to get this to work correctly. For instance if I want the seam at the back of a print, on the Y axis and perpendicular to the X I can set the coordinates but it doesn't place it there.

A detailed tutorial with a part and some basic examples including coordinates would be great.

Let's say one example could be to have a cube and place the seam on the back side in-between the left and right rear corners/edges.
We've been planning some topics for new tutorials. If this is something that's confused many of you, I can certainly suggest it for our content team to look into further.
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."
Rewire

I really want to be able to just draw a bunch of lines to tell the slicer where I want the new layer to start.

Any functionality less than that won't be worth it because it's still unpredictable and not fully user controlled. The slicer just does whatever it thinks is "best", which isn't always going to be ideal as you can see from the picture I posted.

Return to “Feature Requests”