SteveIsHeer

Top solid layers for process1, bottom solid layers process2 not printing

I was attempting to create 2 process for this model https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:664004
The 2 processes was an attempt to create a little heavier bottom portion of the model.
These are the settings applied....

Process 1:
Layer height: .15mm
Bottom layers: 10
Top layers: 5
Infill: 60%
Start Printing: not set
Stop Printing: 11.4mm

Process 2:
Bottom layers: 5
Top layers 10
Infill: 10%
Start Printing: 11.4mm
Stop Printing: not set

Both processes selected when asked which ones to print.
The prepare to print preview shows there are no top layers being printed for process1 and no bottom layers being printed for process 2, the 10% infill of process2 starts directly on top of the 60% infill of process1 with no solid layers as per settings applied.
If I set process1 to print a solid diaphragm every 11.4mm, the preview shows that solid layer/diaphragm at the correct layer but 1 solid layer at that height isn't enough thickness to completely cover over and smooth the top layer of process1.
Has anyone else had these issues with multi-processes?
I gave up on that setup and just printed the whole model as one process with 30% infill because nothing I tried would insert those solid layers where I asked them to be.
It show's to go you how feelish you fool when your tang is all tungled up and you bart stalking tackwards!
blackbird2016

Re: Top solid layers for process1, bottom solid layers process2 not printing

That is exactly what one want it to be with multiple processes.
Having one (solid) object there will be no solid layers in between, exept the bottom and top ones.
Not with one process, and not with multiple ones.
You can use different processes for what you are attempting and S3d does exatly what you want it to do.
In your case changing the infill, where bottom layers are, it is printing them with the process defined for that height. Same goes for the top layers.
I can hear people crying would S3D put solid layers between each process....
SteveIsHeer

Not sure just what it is you are trying to say but it is NOT doing exactly what I want it to do.
I want process1 to have 60% infill and to finish with 5 solid top layers plain and simple. I want process2 to start at the top of process1 with 5 solid bottom layers then continue on to finish printing the rest of process2 with 10% infill. If I didn't want those solid layers starting at 11.4mm, I would print the whole model as one process. If I set a process with specific settings, I expect that process to print as asked without any other logic interfering with it such as process2's settings.

For example, say I wanted to fill that bottom process with sand as weight and didn't want the sand to go beyond that, then the solid top layers of process1 would contain the sand from going into the upper half of the model if it were tipped upside down. A process should slice/print as requested and not reconfigured because there is another process on top of it.
It show's to go you how feelish you fool when your tang is all tungled up and you bart stalking tackwards!
blackbird2016

Sorry for having not the solution you want to get.
Wanting your part having walls for sand, water or whatever in it you will have do do that as per design/construction.
(and although the corrent release is quite buggy)
S3D does exactly what it should.
Where there are internal or outside walls in the part they are printed as determined in the destined process.
Where there are no walls there will be no solid layers, even if you increase the top layers of your 1st process to 50.
Over and out.
dkightley

This thread may provide a method of achieving what you're looking for: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3860&p=44173&hilit ... yer#p44173
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net
S3D-Jake

SteveIsHeer wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:25 pm I was attempting to create 2 process for this model https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:664004
The 2 processes was an attempt to create a little heavier bottom portion of the model.
These are the settings applied....

Process 1:
Bottom layers: 10
Top layers: 5
Infill: 60%
Start Printing: not set
Stop Printing: 11.4mm

Process 2:
Bottom layers: 5
Top layers 10
Infill: 10%
Start Printing: 11.4mm
Stop Printing: not set

Both processes selected when asked which ones to print.
The prepare to print preview shows there are no top layers being printed for process1 and no bottom layers being printed for process 2, the 10% infill of process2 starts directly on top of the 60% infill of process1 with no solid layers as per settings applied.
If I set process1 to print a solid diaphragm every 11.4mm, the preview shows that solid layer/diaphragm at the correct layer but 1 solid layer at that height isn't enough thickness to completely cover over and smooth the top layer of process1.
Has anyone else had these issues with multi-processes?
I gave up on that setup and just printed the whole model as one process with 30% infill because nothing I tried would insert those solid layers where I asked them to be.

Thanks for reporting this issue. Could you please attach your factory file? There have been other reports of issues with solid layers so our team would like to make sure we test this case as well. Thanks!
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."
waterbornewarrio

Yes, having the same issue as SteveIsHeer. It looks like the workaround noted at the thread above, with a third process that's just a diaphragm, does the job, but ... yikes. There has to be a better way.
dkightley

There's a new feature request that encompasses what is being discussed /reported here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3860

When the Variable Settings Wizard was introduced, the bottom and top solid layers at the interface were prevented from being printed...and the top number of layers from the highest profile was adopted for "real" top surfaces throughout the model....and a similar thing for the bottom solid layers.

The above feature request is for solid layers to be specified as user defined heights....and I suggested using the redundant number of top/bottom layers as an indicator for user-defined solid layers.

I think if the devs look at all of these different requirements, they could produce a one-fixes-all solution!
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net
wirlybird

dkightley wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:17 pm There's a new feature request that encompasses what is being discussed /reported here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3860

When the Variable Settings Wizard was introduced, the bottom and top solid layers at the interface were prevented from being printed...and the top number of layers from the highest profile was adopted for "real" top surfaces throughout the model....and a similar thing for the bottom solid layers.

The above feature request is for solid layers to be specified as user defined heights....and I suggested using the redundant number of top/bottom layers as an indicator for user-defined solid layers.

I think if the devs look at all of these different requirements, they could produce a one-fixes-all solution!
Doug, I had the idea of using a control like on the cooling tab or temp tab for the add solid layer.

Like you add a "fan on" at layer X at 30% you could do an add solid layer at layer X for 3 layers.
SteveIsHeer

I see this issue still exists in 4.1.2 I have done some testing and found that if i add a 3rd process and configure the second process to print with solid infill for that entire process then it will create that solid set of layers above the first process's not solid infill.

So basically I have 3 processes, the middle or 2nd process will force the solid layers where I want them:

Process 1 -> 20% infill, start print @ 0mm, stop print @ 20mm (top layer settings get disregarded)
Process 2 -> 100% infill, start print @ 20mm, stop print @ 25mm (5 solid layers does get printed in this process)
Process 3 -> 0% infill, start print @ 25mm (bottom layer settings get disregarded)

The joining of 2 processes with 2 different infill settings refuses to acknowledge the process 1 top layers setting and process 2 bottom layer settings to create the solid layers between the 2 processes.

I find it counter intuitive that the software overrides decisions that I have in place to do it's own thing without any feedback to let me know it is doing so and why.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”