jib301s

Cut my part

Hello,
My part is too big to print in the state, I try to make it in two parts and then paste it.
Possible with the proprietary software of Zortrax (Zsuite1 & 2)
But how to proceed with Simplify3D to cut along an axis and print my two sections?
Thank you
horst.w

Re: Cut my part

Dobble click on the object , opens the "Position-Scaling-Rotation window"

With Position Z go down as much as needed and sink down the object "in the table". All parts below the table will not be printed .
To print the sinked down part it needs only to set the corresponding print height in the normal position via the ADVANCED tab.

Very helpfull to do this is the Cross Section View for the overview where a cut must be.

horst.w
GER
jib301s

Hello and thank you,
I had found the function,
but I did not know we could leave the window open before the simulation
horst.w

That seems not be possible.
If clicking to the Prepare To Print Box the window will be closed automaticaly.
To determine the absoltue Z-value to cut you can not use the shown Z-value of this window . I have randomly am example for this open - have a look to the attached picture.
When I have drawn model and exported it to a STL-file, it was laying for 31,57 mm over the CAD-workbench . Imported to S3D it also flies for 31,57 mm over the printtable because it retains its position. Using the EDIT-tab >>> Surface to Bed the model is standig on the table ready to print, but in the position window there is shown the negative Z-Offset-value of -31,57 mm. It would be very error-prone to calculate with this value to cut a model.
If you are sure the model is standing ready to print on the table, there are 3 options to determine the absolute value where a cut must be:

1. Use tab Tools >>> Variable Settings and read out whre you want to cut. Say the cut will be at 20,0 mm you can now set a Stop in Tab Advanced with 20,0 mm and than print out the part below , the printer stops at 20,0 mm.
After this print you reopen the STL-View, dobble click to the part and than add the negative value 20,0 mm to the shown Z-Offset value in the window. If Z-Offset has zero, than the next step has -20,00 mm. In cases like my examble the value will be -31,57 + -20,00 mm = - 51,57 mm. So the upper part will start to print at the models height of 20,0 mm, after deleting the STOP!

2. Use the print preview. In the left corner of the screen you can read out the effective, absolute Z-value of the toolhead of each layer (or line) when you push the Layer Range button to the left. Best in accordance with the switched ON Print Tool.

3. Use the Cross-View, there it may be easier to see where the cut must be.

For 2. & 3. set the Z-Offset in the same manner as 1.

If there are questions, please attache the related FACTORY-file here for help ( Menue File >>> Save As ...)

H.
Z-Offset.png

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”