saros

Twill Weave First Layer?

Hi,

I'm curious to see if it would be possible to add a twill weave pattern for the first layer, and perhaps the last layer as well. I'm typically printing on Kapton, and end up with a glossy finish to the surface that is on the bed - a carbon fibre style twill weave pattern might look interesting on this layer (though it would take a long time to print).

Cheers,
Dean
blackbird2016

Re: Twill Weave First Layer?

Think about that! Could that really be possible?
saros

Obviously an actual weave is not possible, but a weave pattern may be?

A bit like this :

Your retraction settings would have to be spot on, and it will be a bit messy, but might still look pretty interesting? It would also be a very slow layer, and you wouldnt want the printhead dragging over the surface to put a line through it all.
S3D-Jake

Interesting request! Are there any positives you know of to this type of time consuming fill pattern outside of a different first layer above kapton tape appearance?
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."
saros

Errr.... no. Purely cosmetic. It would be very interesting to see how it comes out. I guess I should write some gcode and try it manually!

To be honest it would probably look pretty good on a rougher bed surface as well (Buildtak etc) - I'm thinking it might look like carbon with a peel ply removed.

For best effect you'd want maybe a silver filament or something that will catch the light.

Quite a number of the things I design/print have large flat areas (eg my LCD enclosure https://forums.overclockers.com.au/posts/18111964/ and I reckon the front may look nice with a twill weave look to it.
zemlin

I think the results would be disappointing. It could actually be tested with a couple ziggity-zaggity models and two processes. There would be no differentiation between zones laying down in the same direction. In the carbon fiber image there is differentiation because of the curvature of the weave.

Return to “Feature Requests”