joesoap583

Feature Request: Eject Media

Possibly for Windows only.

It would be nice if S3D provided an option to eject media. We are supposed to print via SD card, and you can save the gcode (and X3G) file to an SD card - but ejecting the card requires a separate external process. If forgotten then it can scramble the output file.

Having an eject checkbox on the save dialog would be a great enhancement.
Posting as a private individual - 3D printing is a hobby activity.
Creality CR-10S owner.
dennisjm

Re: Feature Request: Eject Media

+1... especially since for me, S3D is completely unusable over USB so I have to use USB.

(On a side note I haven't tried to figure out why USB commands don't work at all for me + S3D. Flashforge Creator X w/ Sailfish. maybe somebody can hint as to what's going on there.)
TenKOhms

dennisjm wrote:+1... especially since for me, S3D is completely unusable over USB so I have to use USB.

(On a side note I haven't tried to figure out why USB commands don't work at all for me + S3D. Flashforge Creator X w/ Sailfish. maybe somebody can hint as to what's going on there.)
I haven't used the flashforge creator x, but are you able to connect to it/jog it over USB? I know i had issues using manual G-Code commands if I didnt use uppercase letters as well
joesoap583

I was using USB only until very recently But one day a print choked whilst using USB, since when I can't reliably use USB.

Using SD card is okay, but from a user perspective is a little inconvenient with respect to ejecting the SD card once I have performed the save. It would be so nice if there was a sticky checkbox which requested the SD card to be ejected on completion of the save operation (sticky = it remembers that it is ticked).
Creality CR-10S owner.
BaronWilliams

+1, this is a handy feature that could help prevent accidental file corruption of the SD card.

EDIT: This SD card corruption issue applies to both Windows and the Mac if the SD card isn't properly ejected before removing it. This is the fault of how these operating systems handle SD cards. I have found that this is more often a problem on the Mac than on Windows. The Mac tends to delay writes to the SD card more often than Windows does. But both have this problem for sure.
Last edited by BaronWilliams on Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dennisjm

TenKOhms wrote:I haven't used the flashforge creator x, but are you able to connect to it/jog it over USB? I know i had issues using manual G-Code commands if I didnt use uppercase letters as well
I haven't tried for a while but last time I tried even Jogging wasn't working well. The result was X axis always moved one direction no matter what Jog control I used until the extruders hit the side. The only thing that would work was the temperature controls.
Umpa

It would be even more usefull if s3d would tell us it's actually finished writing the file.
Dssguy1

Maybe I'm a fuddy duddy but I just save the .gcode file to the hard drive in a nice organized folder structure and then copy the related x3g file to the SD card outside S3d.

No issues ejecting after the copy and the gcode/x3g creation process is a hell of a lot faster than trying to do it on the SD card.
laird

This is a general issue for Makerbot-based printers. Makerbot firmware for USB has minimal error-checking code, because the usual model is to print from SD cards, and only use USB for firmware updates and configuration. Sailfish has fixed numerous Makerbot bugs, but as far as I know they haven't touched the USB code. Some people report printing for USB fine, but it is not recommended because communication errors are detected or fixed, they just cause odd things to happen in the print.
joesoap583

Dssguy1 wrote:Maybe I'm a fuddy duddy but I just save the .gcode file to the hard drive in a nice organized folder structure and then copy the related x3g file to the SD card outside S3d.

No issues ejecting after the copy and the gcode/x3g creation process is a hell of a lot faster than trying to do it on the SD card.
That's what I was doing until recently (saving to HD then using Windows Explorer to move the file and eject the media). However it is so much easier saving the file to the SD card.

There would be nothing stopping you continuing to use your fuddy-duddy technique - this enhancement request is not a request to force a change on your methodology!
Creality CR-10S owner.

Return to “Feature Requests”