sstephan

very slow file writing (4.1.1)

i'm not sure if it started with 4.1.1 upgrade or maybe before .
when i write to sd card it takes very long to write the file .
if i write to other ssd or normal hd it writes fast as before .
only to sd card the speed became very slow .

i formatted the card to ntfs and then its very fast again , but my printer wont read ntfs .
something wrong with fat32 writing i guess?

it was working perfectly before . dont know exactly when it started .
wirlybird

Re: very slow file writing (4.1.1)

It is just the nature of the card. Likely nothing is wrong. The cards and their controllers simply don't have the transfer rates of other storage devices.

Also, depends on how you are transferring files to the card. Lot of variables there too.
jlovett

I've had the same issue as we recently purchased a printer without a USB port. However, it also attempts to launch some other program. I don't recall what it says, but a dialog box pops up and request me to insert a drive into <random drive letter>. I just close the dialog box and it copies the file eventually, but it's a strange occurrence.
wirlybird

jlovett wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:25 pm I've had the same issue as we recently purchased a printer without a USB port. However, it also attempts to launch some other program. I don't recall what it says, but a dialog box pops up and request me to insert a drive into <random drive letter>. I just close the dialog box and it copies the file eventually, but it's a strange occurrence.
That can happen if you have a card reader attached to the PC and had sent a file to that location. It is remembering the last location and is asking for a card since it doesn't detect one.
Some card readers that can accept multiple types of cards can be a pain that way since they create several drive letters!
sstephan

in my case its not an issue of card reader or card .
it was working perfectly before with simplify3d .
i dont know what happened , pretty sure its one of the updates .

due to this issue i first export the file to an ssd , then copy from ssd to sd card .

only when i format the sd card to ntfs then simplify3d saves it at high speed as before .
again , i think something is wrong with how the new version handling fat32 .
sstephan

ok i found whats wrong . its post processing script .
if its enabled (i use it to lower acceleration) then the writing to (fat32) sd card becomes very slow .
it takes less then a second to write the same gcode to ssd .
so my only solution right now is to write it to ssd , then copy to sd .
wirlybird

sstephan wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:27 pm ok i found whats wrong . its post processing script .
if its enabled (i use it to lower acceleration) then the writing to (fat32) sd card becomes very slow .
it takes less then a second to write the same gcode to ssd .
so my only solution right now is to write it to ssd , then copy to sd .
I have just started to see the same thing. I use WIFI SD cards which are in the printers and now it takes several minutes for a simple file/model to transfer.
I was never like this until just recently.

If I use a profile without post processing scripts it transfers much faster.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”