horst.w

Re: Support Separation from part not working as expected. Circular support generation is horrible.

It will be shown in the preview

Support = light grey
Dense Support = dark grey

Perhaps you must scale down the preview with push-pull button in Layer Range to Show. It may be easier to have a look to it when Control Options is checked ON with only 1 layer (not Lines!).

H.
Dense.png
Max Filament

Re: Support Separation from part not working as expected. Circular support generation is horrible.

Thanks,
I have been using this for a few years now.
It's not showing dense layers for me. Not on the bottom layers.
Max Filament

So you are saying it's at my end ?
You see dense supports at the top AND the bottom on your files ?
horst.w

Why do you expect Dense Support where it is not needed and the program doesnt insert it ???
If the problem is the better sticking to bed, use base layers.

H.

At bottom there are 10 base layers (light grey)
Dense_1.png
Max Filament

Ok I see what you are getting at now.

No dense supports can be generated at the bottom. Thanks for clearing that up.

I am using one support layer and it is sticking just fine.

I like simplify3d a lot but it's still not consumer grade as far as it's interface is concerned. Not in my opinion anyway.
And I go back to my other point about automatic and manual support generation being confusing and not logically arranged so far as workflow goes.

Please don't get me wrong. It's got a lot of great features. Just not happy about how you have to dig to find out how to use them.

What would be really great is if they had a little picture pop up explaining just what it is you are doing when you hover over them.
Like say inventor when you hover over revolve for example.
zemlin

I haven't seen any mention of Support Pillar Resolution. I suspect this is the issue with the circular model- that the OP is using the default of 4mm.

Try a support pillar resolution of 1mm on the circular part.
Max Filament

Yes reducing down to 1mm did help.
There are still missing supports which needed to be manually added.
It looks like for circular "ledges" in circular pipe like parts it misses some of them.
If you add them in using the above procedure it does allow you to print.
billyd

Supports are a big problem in 3D printing. I think the approach (for larger areas of support) should be to create a firm layer to build on as good as a raft, but elevated, and of course following the shape of the model above it. And for smaller areas I suppose the current approach is ok but still not great. Maybe all that's needed is a better geometry of the support column... perhaps like a martini glass cross section shape. So much plastic is spend building up from the bed for tall supports. They should start out sparse (but stronger than the corrugated shapes used now) and then transition to the build surface (visualize a forest of trees with thick canopy above). But it should be more sophisticated that just dense corrugation. JMHO, and I know easier said than done. Fix supports to get good surface quality and you will own the industry.
Max Filament

Agreed.
The geometry seems to be based around a square at the moment and is very poor.
If you look at autodesk netfab they do a sort of tree like structure as you have mentioned.
https://www.autodesk.com/products/netfabb/new-features
But then you are paying a lot more for that program.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”