rs4race

Solid infill speed on top of regular infill

When printing a solid infill layer on top of a regular infill, I would like to set the first layer speed separate of the rest. Decreasing the first layer on top of the sparse infill greatly improves the placement of material. Setting solid infill underspeed works, but slowing the layers on top of this is not needed and wastes time.

While printing a cube I was able to edit gcode to get the desired result, but this was only one line, and I couldn't imagine doing this manually with several different top layers.
S3D-Jake

Re: Solid infill speed on top of regular infill

Thanks for your request! We'll keep tabs on this thread to gauge our user community's interest in such an addition.
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."
rs4race

S3D-Jake wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:49 am Thanks for your request! We'll keep tabs on this thread to gauge our user community's interest in such an addition.
Thanks, I hope the commutity realizes the impact that this feature would have, similar to settings for bridging. This feature will have a huge impact when printing tricky materials like PETG and ULTEM, especially with heated chamber patents expiring soon. I am printing ULTEM 1010 and 9085, and it will bridge but only at slow speeds. Keeping a higher speed and adding top layers doesn't work, the material generally doesn't fill the surface and the material gets picked up by the nozzle and deposits on the print later which can cause a failure.
ctilley79

S3D-Jake wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:49 am Thanks for your request! We'll keep tabs on this thread to gauge our user community's interest in such an addition.
Any timeframe on this? it's been a few years.
S3D-Jason

We usually pick the features to add next based on user suggestions, not necessarily length of time. So we would certainly be interested to see how many other users think this feature would be useful.

Now that V5 is available, keep in mind you can also add a single dense support layer which can help create much better top solid layers by using an intermediate infill density for the single layer between the regular infill and the top solid layers.
MarkusS3D

+1

I like the idea, I see the above mentioned problems when I print with PETG. A slower first layer of the top layers would have a huge effect!

Return to “Feature Requests”