jfjohnny5

Request: Adjust Method for Manual Support Placement

Placing manual support can be a bit "finnicky" - especially if the part of the model I want supported is pretty small. I would like to be able to click on the "build surface" and have it just extend the support up until it hits geometry. Or perhaps the reverse of that: rotate the view so when I'm looking at the underside of the model, I can click a point on the geometry and it will extend the support material down to the build platform from that point.

Right now it feels like I have to put my mouse somewhere along the imaginary line between the geometry and the build surface, based on the current angle of the view. Actually, even that would be ok if there was maybe some kind of visible "line" extending up and down from my pointer; something to help me see more clearly where I'm trying to click to add support.

I hope that makes sense. Let me know if I sound nuts - I'll try to explain it better. :)
chuck12

Re: Request: Adjust Method for Manual Support Placement

I find it much easier to let creator add support based on overhang angle at a larger scale then adjust to the scale you want then delete the
support you do not want rather than try to add it which is just as awkward as you say. Does that make sense?
Simplify3D
Site Admin

From what I can tell, I think what you're describing is exactly what Creator actually does! To add a new support structure, just click on the build table at the location where you want the support pillar to extrude upwards. Personally, I usually have to play with the view a bit to find an angle where I can easily add these structures. Many times, what is actually directly below a feature of my model does not appear that way from the view I have chosen. But I assure you, that's what it's doing. What might be good to add is a visualization for support pillars that don't contact the model just so you know where you mouse is currently generating the tower. Right now, it only shows you the pillar if it actually contacts the model.

And chuck, I completely agree! We usually let Creator automatically add support structures based on an overhang angle ~45 degrees and then just make minor modifications using the Add/Remove tools. Looks like you already figured that out ;)
jfjohnny5

Simplify3D wrote:What might be good to add is a visualization for support pillars that don't contact the model just so you know where you mouse is currently generating the tower. Right now, it only shows you the pillar if it actually contacts the model.
Yes, this. :) Sometimes it's just really hard to tell why I'm not seeing supports. I *think* I'm clicking under the model. Some sort of visual feedback would be awesome.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”