PicoTreed

[FIXED] Single Process, dual extruder, nozzle heating

Hi all,
actually I'm using Profiles to manage same/different material on my dual nozzle printer, so I have defined toolheads and relative parameters (ex. temperatures), as custom GCode start scripts for each toolhead.
By this way I'm able to select the desired extruder for the print session selecting the right "Auto-Configure Extruder" option.

The problem is that when the print start, the system heat also the secondary nozzle because Simplify3D introduce an "M104" command (before my custom GCode Start Script) that heat also the unused nozzle!

How to avoid this?
Am I using the "Profiles" feature in the wrong way?

Thank you!
R&D for 3D printers, materials & software.
wirlybird

Re: Single Process, dual extruder, nozzle heating

Under the auto configure extruders is it showing "both extruders" as the selection?
PicoTreed

wirlybird wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:29 am Under the auto configure extruders is it showing "both extruders" as the selection?
Thank you Wirlybird for your quick reply,
selecting "both extruders" does not solve the problem, even worse, because it insert two M104 heating commands in GCode, also ignoring my custom GCode Start Script for the selected nozzle.

Please consider that actually my Starting Script for both extruders is empty, because ideally I don't need it.
Shall I use a variable/conditions dependant Start Script also for the both extruders case?

Thank you!
wirlybird

PicoTreed wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:51 am
wirlybird wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:29 am Under the auto configure extruders is it showing "both extruders" as the selection?
Thank you Wirlybird for your quick reply,
selecting "both extruders" does not solve the problem, even worse, because it insert two M104 heating commands in GCode, also ignoring my custom GCode Start Script for the selected nozzle.

Please consider that actually my Starting Script for both extruders is empty, because ideally I don't need it.
Shall I use a variable/conditions dependant Start Script also for the both extruders case?

Thank you!
What I meant was to make sure it is NOT set to select both extruders.

So, if you have added the extruder heating into the start script manually then that may be why you are getting it twice.
You added then S3D is adding.

What does it do if you go to the temp tab and remove any extruder from the "extruder list" in the left window?

Also, why are you adding the extruders to the start script when S3D will do it for you?
PicoTreed

wirlybird wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:59 am What I meant was to make sure it is NOT set to select both extruders.

So, if you have added the extruder heating into the start script manually then that may be why you are getting it twice.

What does it do if you go to the temp tab and remove any extruder from the "extruder list" in the left window?

Also, why are you adding the extruders to the start script when S3D will do it for you?
  1. Yes, both extruders is not selected.
  2. "You added then S3D is adding.": this is kind of strange logic! If I add extruder heating into my custom GCode script it means that I want to partially override Simplify3D automatic code generation!
  3. Removing any extruder from the extruder list in the left window will prevent Simplify3D to let you slice your model.
  4. I'm adding the extruders to the start script because I need to do other operations (ex. bed probing) before heating the desired nozzle.
wirlybird

PicoTreed wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:08 am
wirlybird wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:59 am What I meant was to make sure it is NOT set to select both extruders.

2. "You added then S3D is adding.": this is kind of strange logic! If I add extruder heating into my custom GCode script it means that I want to partially override Simplify3D automatic code generation!
  3. Removing any extruder from the extruder list in the left window will prevent Simplify3D to let you slice your model.
  4. I'm adding the extruders to the start script because I need to do other operations (ex. bed probing) before heating the desired nozzle.
On #2, S3D has no idea you manually added them!
On #3 I wasn't sure if it would work or not.

I am sure you have tried but can you not get the other items you need added at the start of the script before the spot where S3D adds its lines?

Check this post out. I have a few Prusa MK2's so this is related to them but may help.

https://shop.prusa3d.com/forum/general- ... -s120.html
wirlybird

wirlybird wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:17 am
PicoTreed wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:08 am

On #2, S3D has no idea you manually added them!
On #3 I wasn't sure if it would work or not.

I am sure you have tried but can you not get the other items you need added at the start of the script before the spot where S3D adds its lines?

Check this post out. I have a few Prusa MK2's so this is related to them but may help.

https://shop.prusa3d.com/forum/general- ... -s120.html

Here is the other link.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1959
PicoTreed

In this scenario:
  1. Single Profile.
  2. ONE extruder (T1).
  3. TWO temperature controller: the print temp. for T1 and 0 °C for T0.
  4. One starting script.
I discovered that:
  1. Using "M109 S[extruder1_temperature] T1" command into the custom GCode Start Script will prevent Simplify3D inserting its M104 command for T1 before the Start Script. So S3D recognize that I manually added them!
    M104 for T0 is automatically inserted.
  2. Using "M109 S[extruder1_temperature] T1" command into the custom GCode Start Script, while checking "Wait for temperature controller to stabilize before beginning build" for T1, will NOT prevent Simplify3D inserting its M104 command for T1 before the Start Script.
    M104 for T0 is automatically inserted.
  3. Obviously removing the T0 temperature controlled will prevent Simplify3D inserting M104 for T0.
The problem appear when you set TWO extruders in the "Extruder list", choosing the desired extruder for the print job by the "Auto-Configure Extruder" list: in this scenario your are not able to prevent Simplify3D inserting an M104 command for the unused extruder!

Yes, you can set the temperature to 0 for the unused nozzle, but if I had to manually change temperature values based on the desired nozzle what's the use of setting multiple nozzles under ONE Profile?

Thank you!
Aha

I don't have an exact answer, just some possibly helpful info, and may come back in the future if I find something more helpful (note some of this could have changed in the very last update since I've done less dual printing, but I'm not sure it has):
1. To properly slice a dual extrusion print, you need to use the dual extrusion wizard where it will duplicate the profile (if you use one for both nozzles). They then become oddly linked when changing things.
2. The starting (and possibly all?) scripts will only be read from ONE of the profiles - the right/2nd one I believe it is.
3. At the end of the start script you should be able to turn down the temp of the extruder you don't want heated, easiest to leave it at 0 under the regular temp settings (at least for layer zero). Then use your code to heat it like you want it. But I think it treats the code wrongly and makes you wait to stabilize the other nozzle for anything else chosen as temp.

Note that I don't think it should BE this way, just that it IS this way from everything I've found.
PicoTreed

Thank you Aha for your tips.

I'm giving up on using a single Process to manage multi extrusion by configuring extruders into a single Print Profile.

Actually I think that the best way would be to use two Process and two Profiles (one for each Process), configuring each Profiles to accomodate specific extruder needs, using wise Tool Change Script for these Profiles.

Now I'm experimenting, I'll let you know ;-)

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”