jimmybuckets

Re: Paid upgrade For 2019 upcoming Version 5.0

My understanding also was when I bought the software, that it was free lifetime updates. There are some companies that call updates anything from major revision to major revision....like from1.0 -1.9xx would be free, but going to 2.xx would be an upgrade...not an update. At the time...it was sold as a single buy in for life time current software. I'm not super upset or surprised. I just did a quick google search to make sure I wasn't crazy...but see post #5...at least I'm not the only one that was under the impression there were lifetime updates.

https://3dprintboard.com/showthread.php ... #post54408

Its good software or at least has been for me...I mainly bought it back in 2014 because I wanted to be able to control where I wanted my support structures. Back then it was very nice to be able to slice and print from the same program as well. I still printed things with Kisslicer because in some situations Kiss created stronger prints and better results...but anyway...its 2019 and I haven't paid for an upgrade since I bought it in 2014...so like I said...not super upset...just a little confused as to why so many people would think the same thing if it were never advertised that way. You can't get mad at people or call them cheap for expecting something that was either stated or at the very least...strongly implied. On the flip side...the software is pretty cheap...and if you don't want to pay for the upgrade...then just keep using what you have...Hopefully the 5.0 upgrade will put S3d back in the fore front...not really sure what kind of ground breaking ideas are still left out there for FDM printing though....interesting to see whats next at the very least :)
Wolverine3D

This is why we opted to get a refund on V4 which we bought a few months ago. We will wait and see if/when V5 comes out if its a worthwhile investment.
JoshuaYates

It all depends what they are improvements they make.

Most of the new updates which have have come out "Support for up to 6 nozzles" are very user specific.

I haven't really noticed anything new which has come out over the last year I have noticeably benefited from. The models I currently print look super with the settings I have tweaked them to.

The version 5.0 could be better for printing farms or company's with expensive machines compared to hobbyist's.
arhi

JoshuaYates wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:31 am It all depends what they are improvements they make.
I tend to believe that knowing history is the only way to know the future ...

history black and white: https://www.simplify3d.com/software/release-notes/

I joined at 3.0.0 so 2014 or 2015 don't remember, 3.0.1 was july 2015 and was first useful release (3.0.0 was super buggy) ... 2019 now, look for yourself the list of features added since then and interpolate what you can expect for 5.0
gcodestat integrates with Simplify3D and allow you to
Calculate print time accurately (acceleration, max speed, junction deviation all taken into consideration)
Embed M117 codes into G-Code
Upload your G-Code directly to Octoprint
open source and unlicence
sstephan

i heard they will move away from stl files ,which is a good thing .
i hope i would be able to upload a solidworks file directly (other cad also ok)

this will definitely differentiate s3d from regular slicers and will be a good move.
smeagollum

sstephan wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:55 am i heard they will move away from stl files ,which is a good thing .

this will definitely differentiate s3d from regular slicers and will be a good move.

I have a hard time believing any of that. Adding support for direct import of native CAD files from different CAD programs would be a nightmare to maintain, and has no real benefit. Dropping support for STL would also be plain stupid. If you really want to avoid STL, you can import both OBJ and 3MF in the current version of S3D.

There may well be support added for new formats, but I strongly believe that it will not be well spent development resources.

And as for the decision to make v5 a paid upgrade, I'm not too happy about that. I have no issues with software companies doing it that way, but then I also expect them to be a lot more active with bug fixes and updates along the way. With S3D we've had updates once in a blue moon, and when there finally is one, it brings almost nothing interesting and new.
mzakelj

I hope they will support preasure advance and other klipper features. Becose Klipper will overrun Marlin in time, if something better will not come out. I switched to klipper few monts ago, and i will not go back to marlin. Its faster, better and with S3D it rocks ( some adjustmets need to be made in s3d ) and it works like charm. Now iam printing on real 60-80 mm/s with clone volcano head and normal extruder for few bucks. And this on modified Tronxy X3 , only linear rail upgrade on Y axis. S3D rocks all the way. I print PETG and they say that it cannot be printed on high speeds. Bullshit. It can be done. And one small tip : Buy some 1.5mm vitroplast for PETG printing. It stick like hell and when its cold it pops off with no preasure. It just remove the print.

So my decision : i will pay for upgrade but i hope it will be something about 50-70 €.

Great work guys.
Codex404

sstephan wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:55 am i heard they will move away from stl files ,which is a good thing .

How would it be a good thing to get rid of STL files while everyone else mainly supplies them? Any model from the internet then suddenly needs to be converted to a not STL file to use it...
Mogal

I purchased another CAD package a few years ago. Cost me $2800. They offered the 1yr free updates as well.
Well, at month 13, a paid update came out I was PISSED! Emailed and was flat out told NO to the new version.
Made me even more mad... (The up grade price was nearly $400)
After a few months of seeing what the upgraded version offered, I gladly paid the price.

I've had S3D for awhile now. I've never looked at any other slicer since, so I have no idea how they've improved over time.
I'm happy with the ease of use, multiple profiles ect with S3D. Good prints too.

I hope the upgrade price wont exceed 20-25% of initial purchase. But we'll see.
Wish there was a 'teaser' as to what upcoming.
S3D-Chris

Mogal wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:47 pm
I've had S3D for awhile now. I've never looked at any other slicer since, so I have no idea how they've improved over time.
I'm happy with the ease of use, multiple profiles ect with S3D. Good prints too.

I hope the upgrade price wont exceed 20-25% of initial purchase. But we'll see.
Wish there was a 'teaser' as to what upcoming.
We will be teasing new features for both V4 and V5 updates as well as providing more info on upgrade pricing as the releases gets closer! We will also continue to post development updates to share our progress with the community.

If there are specific features you want to see added in the upcoming releases, please let us know!

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”