zemlin

Sensing an X/Y Shift

At the day job we have a MarkForged MKII printer. I just discovered an interesting feature of this machine.
Between layers the head makes a trip to the X/Y Home. I had wondered why it did that. Today I found out.

Some support came loose from the bed on the build I was running this morning. I got a notification of an aborted print due to a dislocation. It only printed one bad layer. When it went to the X/Y home before the next layer it allowed the printer to sense that something is wrong. Either one of the home switches was hit early, or not hit at all during the home excursion.

I don't know if there is any IP associated with this feature, or if there are other printers that do this - I'm not well versed in the inner workings of printers - I suspect there may be a firmware component required for this feature to work. It adds a bit of time to the print, and could also cause ooze/blob issues depending on the material and retraction settings, but I could see this as a nice checkbox to be added in a slicer if it can be executed without firmware.
MicroVoxel

Re: Sensing an X/Y Shift

Deleted

Return to “Feature Requests”