fredlef

Print inner layers faster than outer layers.

Hi - I know I can print different heights of a model with different settings but can i have the outer layers print slower than the inner layers. So that the part that is visible printers slower while everything inside prints faster?

Thanks
greybeard

Re: Print inner layers faster than outer layers.

The answer is ‘Yes’ you can do it...

This is how I do it - it requires a model (.stl) that can be split into two models, One outer, One inner.

That’s easy to do if you’re a CAD user or have other software that enables Boolean Subtraction/Differencing.

With the two models, simply create two separate process with the Speed/other parameters you want.

A simple example is one I posted for something such as a Threaded feature requiring more Shells than the surrounding material (for Thread tapping or cleaning-up printed threads, as an example…). Look for my post on below link.

viewtopic.php?t=11452&p=45087#p45087
3D Print Parts
https://www.thingiverse.com/Still_Breathing/designs
gearsawe

Actually you don't have to do any CAD work which could get very complicated if you have a complicated part.
you setup 2 process. First lets say you want 3 perimeters at widths of 0.5mm so the outer offset is 1.5.

-process one set as your Slow Perimeter process with zero infill and zero top/bottom layers 3 perimeters. So it is hollow basically.
-process two set as your Fast but with infill and top/bottom layers if you wish, 0 perimeters but set the Horizontal size compensation in Other tab to -1.5 the width of your outside perimeters.

This should give you your faster in fills with no CAD work

can you can split the first outer to slower and the next 2 as faster with the same idea

-process one fast 2 perimeters and infills and Horizontal size compensation to -0.5mm
-process two slow 1 perimeters and no infills and Horizontal size compensation to 0.0mm

all sorts of things you can do but just gets a little messy with the processes sometimes
horst.w

... and why not setting in a simple way the basic speed to i.e. 100 mm/s (the maximum of speed, what the printer and material is capable ) and reduce the Outline-speed to adjusted 40 % = 40 mm/s .

BUT (!) the print temperature always will make trouble because for high speed it is not hight enough and for slow speed it is to high.
I'm expecting the next questions of the people who do so: Why my nozzle is blocking ???

horst.w
GER

PS: the posted question is not correct ! there are never existing " Inner and outer LAYERS"! We have Perimeters Inside or Outside and we have Infill and Support.
It would be better to gain experiances rather than tuning the print speed to maximum. My opinion. And don't forget to uncheck the "Print-Speed-Box for Layers below ..."
MicroVoxel

@fredlef under the “Speeds” tab, lower your “Outline Underspeed.”
Personal Printer: Replicator 2
Yeah... I need to upgrade...
gearsawe

I always forget about to other speed controls but never liked the percentages idea. I like S3D but am not fond of the layout and its weird quirks
horst.w

... but it is easy to do and needs only a bit mental calculations and 101!

H.
JohnyWalter

Yes, you can do it. I do this through the model stl. It has already been described above.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”