simplifyba

Wipe and auto leveling always too high when starting second print

Hi Team,

I am seeing an issue with the height of the head whenever I start a second print on a Lulzbot TAZ 6.

The TAZ is running FW 1.1.9.28. I'm on a Mac running 10.12.6 and my S3D is 4.1.1.

After a successful print, the second print can be started, but will always fail because the extruder will touch home but at some point during the auto-wipe and leveling phase it will start performing operations about 30 or 40mm to high. For example, it will try to touch front/right but will not lower all the way down, return to the left edge to'rewipe' but then will hover above and move the bed forward and back as if it were wiping the nozzle a second time. After this air-wipe, it will try again to touch the corners but then fails with 'Bed leveling failed. Reset'.

Steps:
1. Toggle the ON/OFF switch on the printer.
2. Disconnect / Connect S3D
3. Successfully print a part ( TAZ reports 'Print complete')
4. On S3D click Begin printing over USB and notice the head is too high to wipe or touch the corner plate washers.

This is 100% reproducible for me. There is more info I would like to gather, like, does doing a disconnect/connect from S3D BEFORE I start the second print work? Does it work if I toggle power on the TAZ BEFORE I start the second print? If for whatever reason you aren't able to repro this yourself, I think this would be good info to have to debug so I'll add updates to this issue but I just wanted to get the base error filed.

Also, please find a .txt file attached that has the console log showing a successful print followed by the too-high second try.
Attachments
too-high.txt
Log for bug 'Wipe and auto leveling always too high when starting second print'
(28.34 KiB) Downloaded 155 times
hounddog

Re: Wipe and auto leveling always too high when starting second print

I have been having this problem for over a year and finally got fed up enough with it to look for a solution. Any solutions?
hounddog

Can anyone from Simplify3d chime in on this?
Clay

I am a brand new user and I am having the same issue on my TAZ6. Could use some help.
glennbullion

I'm in the same boat. Recent Taz 6 . Been using Simplify3D with a Mini for many years now, but with the Taz 6, unexpected results, especially with bed leveling.

Also works with an Ender 3 we have here. So, for the longest time, I thought the issue was with the Taz. Turns out with Cura, it prints fine. So, I'll use that for the time being. Sad, as I want to use Simplify across all three of our devices.
mtarlton

I saw this error for the first time today and I was using the Lulzbot version of Cura. This probably should go to the Lulzbot forum. I ended up having to restore settings from the Taz control panel.
joshdanielsjr

I had the same problem after updating the firmware. The old bed level matrix needs to be flushed before starting a new print. Punch this code on top of the starting script.

M73 P0 ; clear GLCD progress bar
M75 ; start GLCD timer
G26 ; clear probe fail condition
M107 ; disable fans
M420 S0 ; disable previous leveling matrix
G90 ; absolute positioning
M82 ; set extruder to absolute mode
G92 E0 ; set extruder position to 0
js27597

Did the above script work for anyone? A co-worker of mine found this much simpler one and it seems to work.
M420 S0 ; disable leveling matrix
after G26

M420 S1 ; enable leveling matrix
after G29
stovedog13

This worked for me:

M73 P0 ; clear GLCD progress bar
M75 ; start GLCD timer
G26 ; clear probe fail condition
M107 ; disable fans
M420 S0 ; disable previous leveling matrix