wildvortex

How to print a brim that skirts the part and not he supports

I have a part with a small footprint but very tall for it's width. All the way around this is supports. It is hollow on the underside/inside except supports. I don't want to use a raft as it was a bit difficult to remove. How do I print a brim that goes around the pieces edge not just around all the support edges. Cura will print the brim like this with the supports printed on top of the brim.
maker2

Re: How to print a brim that skirts the part and not he supports

I agree, that's a problem. In the part below there's a brim all the way around. But if I enable support for the sloping cave like area in the photo then the brim won't go into the cave at all. Printing in ABS that is a real issue. So I have to create brim features in CAD which is a pain.
Attachments
support.png
maker2

fyi the way to do this in Fusion360 is to create a "Derive" of the body you want to print into a New File. In that new file modify it adding Brim like features freely. Export that new body to .stl for printing. That way the Original File remains the way it should be for showing to friends and admirers! ;-)

But it would be a whole lot easier if S3d just printed support over Brims.
S3D-Jake

maker2 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 3:43 pm ...But it would be a whole lot easier if S3d just printed support over Brims.
You can enable support base layers in the Supports tab. This will add a Brim-like bottom layer for all of your supports that make contact with the bed.
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."
maker2

What a great option! All this time and never noticed it.

Thanks a lot @S3d-Jake!!

Return to “Feature Requests”