Nandox7

Re: Process versus Profiles etc

Not exactly sure, may have swapped between profiles or executed the wizard again.
Something like that.
DarthRevan

Nandox7 wrote: Three dropdowns that allow to quickly choose between printer settings, filament and printing settings.
This both accommodates users with just one printer as well as with multiple printers.
I've been able to successfully setup the kind of thing you're talking about by combining multiple profiles and the ability to set the auto configure options to what I wish by editing the fff file in a text editor. :)
quarkhopper

If this is true, and I'm probably reading too fast, then changing the profile shouldn't alter things that are key to the process, and yet, it does. They're not separate... but they're not the same... what gives? I just downloaded a factory file that changed the profile to Default. So, I change it back and it removed all the process settings. I'm going mad trying to figure out what to do now.
quarkhopper

Nandox7 wrote: Wed May 27, 2015 12:38 pm This split between processes and profiles is not intuitive at all. I just got lost with it and some weeks ago I lost all my settings.
Here here
quarkhopper

As far as I can tell, it's best to set all the configurable fields in you process settings and then never fool with the profiles or processes ever again unless you have a really compelling reason. Update fields as needed in the settings and run with it. For a software title that has "simplify" in the name they really over-complicated this (although, as a software engineer, I can see that an attempt was made, but requirements slipped at the end of the project or something). It confuses the living daylights out of new people with its behavior, and I don't really see much consensus online either.

Summary: Ignore them, update the configuration manually and have a nice day.
StickyC

Good to know I'm not the only one struggling with this. I just accidentally deleted a whole slew of presets as well trying to add a new printer via the Wizard. It's a bummer to know that it's been 3 years and that part of the UI is still a bit messy.
madsanman

I just switched to Simplify3D and I find this confusing and poorly implemented. I think I understand what the developers were after, but they fell short of making this intuitive and useful. When I save a new Profile, I'm not entirely sure what settings are included. Same goes for the Process. Until they can fix this, a simple chart explaining what settings are included in a Profile and what are included in a Process would help.

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”