Ayres3D

[ADDED] Zoom to mouse rather than center of build volume

I imagine that either this has already been asked or is already implemented but I can't find how, but just in case...

If I try to zoom in on a Preview then the zoom always tends to the centre of the bed, rather than to the area I want to inspect. So, if I'm looking at a feature towards the edge of the bed, it's not possible to zoom to it to see how it is sliced.

This seems like a pretty fundamental failing (either in the software, or my ability to use it).
airscapes

Re: Proper "Zoom" function in preview

You have to drag (right click and drag) the image before or after you zoom.. The process seems to be very cpu intensive and slow on an older i5 laptop with 16gig of ram and window 10.
Ayres3D

Re: Proper "Zoom" function in preview

Ahhhh! Thank you so much. That makes things so much easier. I did think it was odd.
kburgoyne

Re: Zoom to mouse rather than center of build volume

Ayres3D wrote: I imagine that either this has already been asked or is already implemented but I can't find how, but just in case...

If I try to zoom in on a Preview then the zoom always tends to the centre of the bed, rather than to the area I want to inspect. So, if I'm looking at a feature towards the edge of the bed, it's not possible to zoom to it to see how it is sliced.

This seems like a pretty fundamental failing (either in the software, or my ability to use it).
Second this request. Although I don't consider the current way of operating necessarily a "failing". The two approaches are simply preferences. The current approach where the zoom is based on the center of the viewport I'd consider the "novice" mode, and might be kept for newbies.

The "pro" mode is definitely to have the mouse wheel zoom to where the mouse cursor is pointing. This is the way Blender works, and probably other editors.

Because a lot of "less professional" software does tend to zoom to the center of the viewport, it tends to be what non-pros expect. It's also the "lazy user" way for zoom to function because the user doesn't have to pay attention to where their cursor is. Regardless of where their cursor is, the zoom is always the same.

The "pro" approach of zooming to cursor requires more user discipline because the zoom appears to be inconsistent until the user learns to pay attention to where their cursor is.

All that being said, Simplify3D definitely should implement zoom-to-cursor as a user selectable "pro" option while retaining zoom to center of viewport as the "newbie" option.
JohnDC58

One new feature I would like to see is the ability to zoom in at the location that the mouse pointer is at. Most 3D programs allow you to do this and it makes locating a specific area easier to navigate to. Grazie!
Last edited by S3D-Jake on Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: moved to existing thread about this feature request.
S3D-Jake

Thanks for the great feedback! I'll keep monitoring this thread for future user interest.
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."
ESS-Cr10s-fan

I like the idea of having this feature added also.
ttn

+1 I find myself expecting it to work like this like in other CAD software but then it doesn't. Make it a toggle able option?
tonyno

+1 I thought I already hit a thread like this before, but can't find it now.
AutomillAB

+1
I agree with the previous speakers. I just bought Simplify3D, and the first thing I noticed was this odd zoom behavior.
All other CAD/CAM softwares I work with today zooms to the mouse cursor. Now it is always twice as much work to both
zoom and move, instead of zooming directly to the mouse cursor.

Please fix this soon in the next update.

Return to “Feature Requests”