slipshine

Printing stops while working.

This will fall under future improvement.

If possible can you get the software to not pause printing when you move or resize the machine control panel.

It also pauses printing if you import a file from the main window and don't get the file selected in time.

Are we supposed to be able to work with the software while printing?

Also if you are working on the main screen with the machine control panel minimized can it be made when you click the panel button on the right to open it back up. Having to go back to the start bar is a pain.
Last edited by slipshine on Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dalew8abz
Location: Cleveland Heights, Ohio USA (4 mi. from MakerGear HQ!)

Re: Printing stops while working.

Along this same line, I was printing FROM THE SD CARD with Creator on Linux x64 (Mint). I wanted to go do something else, and I assumed if I hit the "Disconnect" button I could shut down Creator and let the print finish from the card. But the machine basically did an E-Stop and shut down. Had to start the print over. Fortunately I had only gotten about 20 layers printed.

What's the correct procedure to start a print from the SD Card, then close down Creator and disconnect the USB so I can take my notebook and go do other stuff?

Dale
Simplify3D
Site Admin

Re: Printing stops while working.

slipshine - these are good suggestions. I'll see what I can do to get them implemented. I know we've tried different methods for making sure the print won't pause while doing other things, but we had some issues finding a good solution that worked on all operating systems. So yes, you can still do other tasks while a print is running, but if it is a task that takes 4 or 5 seconds (like browsing for a file or maybe slicing a very complex part), it might temporarily pause the print until it completes. A few suggestions until we get a better method in place: 1) If you want to import a file, you can always just drag and drop it onto the virtual build table. 2) As you noted, printing from the SD card also fixes this issue and is generally recommended.

Dale - We've done this before without issues. We usually just disconnect and the machine keeps running. With the M2 you can tell if it restarts just by listening to the case fans. Try connecting (you'll hear the fans spin up), then click Disconnect (the fans should stay spinning). I tried this on a few of our computers and they all work fine. Does anyone else notice the same symptoms?

Return to “General Discussion and Tips”